Friends Labtop Errr

AkApUrViS

my friend give me a labtop over the weekend and he said to have it clean it out like the first day he bought it and he give me all his stuf that came with it even the recoveryer disk which i am happy but he didnt tell me what was the problem errr...

so after i put in the recovery disk i reformat the hard drive didnt save no file,after i got done with it i try to use the pc doctor it have on it about 5 hours later it ran and froze up and i have to reboot evertime and i try to defrag it but it keep repeating the 1,2,3 percent over and over and i try the recovery disk like 5 time and samething happen with defag but not the pc doctor works fine now but im think it the harddrive problem or what any help will be good

p.s it an IBM thinkpad I series

ok i coudnt get it to defag cuz it wouldnt pass the 1,2,3 percent and it would repeat it self over and over for 5 hours or more but the pc doctor said it was fine but do you belive it? if not can you guys suggest a good harddrive for the labtop?

It could be a boot sector virus. Or sometimes just using the recovery cd's doesn't erase the entire hd. I'm not sure if the recovery cd's allow for the recovery console, but if you can get into recovery console through there type "fixmbr" without the quotes and it'll write a new boot sector. If that doesn't work then maybe the recovery console isn't doing away with all the info. In which case I'd suggest getting ahold of a knoppix cd or something similar so you can fdisk you're drive(s) clean and start from scratch.

i know this is old but thanks for your help guys,but the knoppox cd wont install cuz of the labtop spec and the fixmbr didnt help at all so i jess he s.o.l then but i know he wants a new harddrive for it though, can you guys suggest me on he needs only 20 or 40 gigs thank