Oc'ing My Duron 1.3

Some people might say pointless, others, crazy. I intent to over clock my AMD 64 3200 when it arives but first i need to learn how to over clock. The FSB on my motherbaoard stands at 100, if i oc it too 133 then my comp boots up and i get a temp of 50'c (on air cooling). However my GFX card does no appear to want to start up. Could anyone tell me why or how to give it a kick :P ? Cheers

My rig --> http://www.overclockersclub.com/gallery/?act=case&id=657

Hippykiller

okay, here we go.

no agp lock IS a problem.

that motherboard is problem as well. you'll need to get the "honeyX" bios for that thing to get voltage and fsb adjustments. the stock bios only allows 100 or 133, NOTHING inbetween. it also locks voltage to stock only. a duron will need a fsb lower than 133 (120 would even be pushing your luck) and a voltage boost.

:withstupid: Yep, dead on. The K7S5A is a great board, but you need one of the modded bios files for it to actually be of any use. I used the latest honeyx bios on mine, and it adds a bunch of nice fsb speeds to choose from. (though I don't recall a voltage adjustment option :unsure: ) I had a duron 1.0 on a K7S5A, and I hopped it up to 133fsb (1.33ghz) with no problems. But since you're starting at 1.3, I'd expect you to hit maybe the 112fsb mark. (that was one of the fsb options the honeyx bios has)

And BTW, tear off the chipset heatsink (if it hasn't fallen off already) and put it back on with some superglue and REAL thermal compound.

LMAO.  that's right they had rubber cement holding em on or something like that.  such a pile of crap on a halfway decent board.

that was my FIRST overclocking experience...same board, same proc (1.3 duron) believe it or not i could get it to about 1.6. i was happy :)

i remember taking it to a shop (Computer Direct outlet...this is for you bigred) ;)

but anyways....there was a guy there that was really cool...did all that LN2 overclocking and stuff...actually BRING IT IN to work on a few days...i swear i lived at that place a few summers ago. it was when i was upgrading my 1.3 duron to an amd 2500+ (new board, ram...etc) good times, good times.

Edited by airman

LMAO. that's right they had rubber cement holding em on or something like that. such a pile of crap on a halfway decent board.

LOL exactly...it always looked like double-sided tape to me. I remember feeling the heasink and thinking "wow, this chipset runs very cool" when in reality it was just because the heat was being insulated to the poor chipset. I replaced the crap and the heatsink would actually get warm, lol.