Sempron?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...ycodevalue=6355

Anyone here own one? How they OC?

256kb cache? what could have possible changed about them?

50bucks say they are normal XP's with those little box heat transfer things on em...

edit:

yeah i just saw this

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=30767

we both made it at the same time

The socket 462 semprons are virtually identical to the T-breds. Almost no differences what so ever.

The socket 754 sempron is far superior to the others as it is based on the A64s, if these are significantly cheaper than the A64 2800+s thenthey will be a GREAT buy.

here's a Sempron 3100(socket 754), 129 bucks

here's an A64 2800(again socket 754), 140 bucks

think i will go with the A64 myself, not enough price difference, and you get a 64bit chip(Sempron is 32bit) with twice as much cache for very little more money, heck for 163 bucks you could have an A64 3000, if you ask me, they dropped the price of the A64 line a bit too much too soon, barely any advantages to go Sempron

Yeah but they have the rating scheme completly WRONG for the semprons it's not even funny. If i can remember, the 3100+ sempron and the 2800+ A64 run at the same clack speed, and get near enought same performance! The 'rating' they seem to use seems to be way off base there.

yup, ive seen benchmarks where the 2800 A64 slightly leads the 3100 Sempron in most tests, but these benchmarks had to be run using a 32bit OS and 32 bit software for the Sempron to be able to run them, so it's not really a fair comparison, and when the OS and programs and all are true 64bit......which isn't far away, you would probably be glad you went A64 or some 64bit CPU anyways

the rating system is not the same.

a64 vs P4

semptron vs celeron D

and if you look at it, the semptron's 3100+ rating vs a celeron D @ 3.1ghz, the semptron slaps it silly. keep in mind also that the semptron runs 200mhz fsb vs the celeron's 133mhz fsb. and it has that onboard memory controller that the celeron has wet dreams about.

btw where are you guys seeing prices that high for semptron 3100+'s? I'm paying under $95 for oem ones.

oh yeah, the sempron stomps the celeron D for sure, i just don't think it is right to compare or at least to make a judgement based on a half cached 32bit CPU vs. 64bit CPU

lowest price on pricewatch is 124 bucks(retail), monarchcomputers.com has them for 129 bucks......newegg doesnt have any 3100's

but instead of us telling you where we can get crappy prices, show us where you get the good prices......and "dealer only" prices dont count, most of us dont qualify as "dealers" or "distributors"

wont you?

the rating system is not the same.

a64 vs P4

semptron vs celeron D

and if you look at it, the semptron's 3100+ rating vs a celeron D @ 3.1ghz, the semptron slaps it silly. keep in mind also that the semptron runs 200mhz fsb vs the celeron's 133mhz fsb. and it has that onboard memory controller that the celeron has wet dreams about.

btw where are you guys seeing prices that high for semptron 3100+'s? I'm paying under $95 for oem ones.

then this statement makes sense, you get dealer pricing

your question

"Where are you guys seeing prices that high for semptron 3100+'s? I'm paying under $95 for oem ones?"

would seem to suggest that we are paying too much, but if dealer price is 95 bucks and i can get one retail for 129 bucks, that's not high at all, knowing what i know about wholesale-retail-markups-etc......that's only slightly over 35% markup from your oem price, quite a modest profit margin

we were told that the OEM chips are to sell for $99.99, the retails for $109.99

that's why I see that price as being too high. I plan to sell more of them to counter the lower margin.

figure sell 100 of them @ 10% vs 10 of them @ 35%... more chips @ lower margin = more money

we were told that the OEM chips are to sell for $99.99, the retails for $109.99

that's why I see that price as being too high. I plan to sell more of them to counter the lower margin.

figure sell 100 of them @ 10% vs 10 of them @ 35%... more chips @ lower margin = more money

hey bro, if i ever considered getting a new Chip, would you consider shipping to CA?