Monitor FAQ

Nerm

Ok... this is a place that we can kinda orginize many of the commonly asked questions about Monitors.

Feel free to submit to this thread in a Q&A format... a staff member will edit this message from time to time with the new FAQ. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search The Forums : Asking For Help Guidelines : Overclockers Club Site Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q) What is refresh rate? What should I set it at?

A) Refresh rates can be user defined on CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitors (on LCD monitors the refresh rate is fixed).

Refresh rates are measured in Hz. This basically represents the number or times the image on the screen is 're-drawn' in every second. So a value of 85Hz would mean the screen would be 're-drawn' 85 times every second.

It commonly accepted that higher refresh rates are more desirable (reduces eye strain). Therefore it is beneficial to set your refresh rate at the highest value your monitor will support for the resolution you are using. Your video card will also affect how high you can set your refresh rate.

• 7 months later...

Q: How can I tell if my LCD display has dead/defective pixels?

A: Download the program called Dead Pixel Buddy to determine if your LCD display has any bad pixels. The program displays a full screen of black/white/red/green/blue to help identify any bad pixels.

• 3 months later...

Q: What does the 25ms or 16ms rating on lcd screens mean?

A: That is the amount of time that it takes the lcd screen to change the color of the pixles on the screen. So on a 16ms lcd screen it can change the color of the pixles once every 16ms. (ms=miliseconds)

• 4 months later...

Q: What should I look for in a LCD monitor that I will use for gaming?

A: There are many factors but here are the main ones.

1. The key feature here is the Responce Time. Its generally accepted that a responce time of 16ms or less is best for gaming. If you have higher then that, you will notice 'ghosting' on the screen due to the fast action in today's games.

2. Max resoultion size. If you have a 7800gtx and you plan on running games at 1600x1200 make sure you get a monitor that will support that high

3. Contrast Ratio. This is the number you see that is like 350:1 500:1 or 700:1 etc. All you really need to know is the higher the better. 700:1 is much better then 350:1. The higher that number...the better your games will look on screen.

• 1 year later...
Q) Is bigger better i am getting a 22'' widescreen will this be ok for gaming?Or should i go smaller?

size dosen't really matter. It is just personal prefrence. However, the issue that is presented is:

a) is your graphics card powerful enough for the resolution? - check your literature with the card and monitor to figure this out. All it takes is simple logic.

b) what is the refresh rate? - if the refresh rate isn't low (<17ms) then you will probablly notice "ghosting", a false image that follows the real image.

There are other issues presented with large LCDs, but they don't really become a factor unless you are a professional graphics developer or an extreme videophile.