Is Linux Better Then Windows Xp Pro?

modgod

from 1995 i have been usinf windows operating system and i just got sick of it. virus every day, windows crashes every week etc....

i heard that this thing (viruses, hackes , etc...) don't existe in linux. i want to make sure, is that true? there isn't any viruses,spywares,trojans..... in this OS?

if there really isn't any of thos so i will install linux, but first i have some question:

* i play a lot of games, can i install them on linux OS as well? and those games sometimes have patches to update the games, can those patches be installed on linux OS?

* i have 3 systers at home, and they all use the PC. they don't want to use other OS, they only want xp pro. so can i install OS linux on the same hardrive that OS XP is on? (but in differnent partition). i only have one 80GB hard drive.

* from where can i get linux? is it free for download (i hope so)???

* how can i install linux? is it hard to install? i install XP easlly, is it the same proccess?

*my ADSL USB modem drivers r compatibal with XP/98/95. will they work at linux?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is possible to get hacked in linux...and there are virii for linux. It's just harder to get hacked in linux especially because of all the different distros, and there really aren't that many virii for linux...you could probably count the amount of virii on one hand. Linux is used widely for servers because of its stability. An admin only really needs to reboot the server every year if he's running Linux. It's an incredibly stable operating system and many people like it more then windows. I personally do not, there aren't as many games as windows because game companies don't like selling games for linux as not many people have it. There are a couple though, such as UT2004 and quake 3(only ones i can think of off the top of my head). I would say go for it and install linux, it will automatically give you a dual boot(at least it did for red hat, anyone want to correct me if I'm wrong), and you'll be able to choose between xp and linux before boot up. So to answer your question yes you can install it on the same hard drive...you just need another partition for linux.

sup.. i know practically nothing about linux but can answer a few questions i think.

- Linux is a free download

- there are may different versions.. redhat, gintoo.. people here can definitely help you find the right one for you

- installing is not easy.. we live in a windows world and there is alot of work involved in installing linux correctly

- easy to use GUIs exist in the newer kernels of linux, however it is still essentially command based. everything is done with text

- all the linux gurus i know love it compared to windows and i respect that. they have their reasons it's worth looking into

- lastly, a good place to start is google, as well as the linux section of this forum

haha we posted at almost the same time^. Don't let him scare you away from linux...it's not that hard to install and it's not all command based. When I first installed red hat I thought it was just xp but looked better.

EDIT: if you wanna try linux but not install it on your hard drive, you can run linux off a cd. It's called knoppix, you can download it here:

http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

Edited by mmmurph16

is there anti virus, firewall for linux?

and can u plz give me a guide for installing linux?

and what version should i use? i need one for home users. i serf the web a lot, play games like ut2004,COD, hearing some music and thats it.

can i install my MOBO/V.card/TV.card/Modem on linux?:

ABIT NF7

GIGABYTE ATI RADEON 9200 128MB

LIFE VIEW FLYVIDEO 3000

USB ADSL MODEM ALE 070

and i'm not very good with installing OS with text, like WINDOWS 98.

so what r the text commands i should use?

and can u plz give me a link to a version that u think is the best for me?:

i need one for home users. i serf the web a lot, play games like ut2004,COD, hearing some music and thats it.

If you want something that is most user friendly go with mandrake....maybe even redhat (fedora is what i use and i haven't used it long. You don't really need a guide to install linux. During the install process it will tell you what you need to do most of the time. Give it a try before getting a guide if needed. But don't use www.google.com use www.google.com/linux.

i said i want an installation guid becuase ppl here said that i need to write commands. i don't know any command (i only install xp and it dosn't need any command for installation).

but r u sure the installation will not be difficult?

by the way, i was just "googaling" about linux, and i read that red hat company will stop or already stoped her updates for her home version. so i dwon't download red hat.

and i heard that mandrake is the hardets version to use. so should i really download it?

i've tried linux a couple times (red hat and fedora). the installtion part is pretty easy for the most part. walks you though it, although it does help to have an idea what you are doing (i was looking at guides on another computer as i installed).

i always had problems installing things (applications, hardware devices, etc). somtimes you download a RPM, follow the documentation and everthing goes fine. other times you get error messages, have problems only to find out that _______ isn't supported yet. i eventually got frustrated and gave up.

it never hurts to try for yourself though. red hat/fedora is one of the easiest to install, you may want to try there, the only linux help site i remember is http://www.justlinux.com/. lots of info in their forums

k, i want to make a partition for linux.

what format should i choose?: NTFS, FAT32, Linux ext2, Linux ext3, Linux swap??? what will be the best format for it and what size should i make it? i can make it max 50GB.

and my other 2 partitions r in NTFS format (windows and storage partitions). will that make any problems?

edit:

can u plz give me a link to download latest Mandrake version? like i said it for home pc user (for playing games, seeing moveis ans listing to music)

Edited by modgod

Linux doesn't suppor the NTFS file format, thats a windows only thing. (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) To download the latest mandrake, go to linuxiso remember though for this you will need a CD burner to download the iso's, if you don't have one linux can be bought for like 5 bucks off ebay. :)

Installing isn't complicated at all. And mandrake isn't the hardest at all. It is actually said to be the most user friendly. Don't use ebay here this place is probly cheaper http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/index.php i get most of my stuff from there. I am a member of www.justlinux.com they are the most helpfull when it comes to linux. you can even join us on irc.freenode.net #JustLinux Everyone is always willing to help.

Edited by korn4266

k, i downloaded Mandrake 9.2 (10 OFFICIAL version is full with bugs).

and i have a problem. after i finished installing it the PC reboteed and then he entered this Linux version. but insted of entering my user, a massege apeared:

mandrake linux release 9.2 (fivestar) for i586

kernel 2.4.22-21mdk on an i686/tty1

localhost login:

so i wrote my login name and then this massege apeared:

last login: mon Jul 26 08:48:15 on Vc/1

["USERNAME"@localhost "USERNAME"]$:

USERNAME is my login name.

and that it. nothing happened after it. what should i do now? what command should i write so i can enter my user???

edite:

k, someone told me that i need to write the command "STARTX" and then it should be entered to my user. i did that but this error aperead:

xauth: creating new authority file/home/"username"/.xauthority

xauth: creating new authority file/home/"username"/.xauthority

using authority file/home/"username"/.xauthority

writing authority file/home/"username"/.xauthority

using authority file/home/"username"/.xauthority

writing authority file/home/"username"/.xauthority

execve faild for /etc/x11/x (errno 13

giving up.

xinit: no such file or directory (errno 2) : unable to connect to X server

Xinit: no such process (errn 3): server error

so what should i do now?????????

Edited by modgod