Too Much As5?

DBZ

ok. to follow along with the AS5 thread:

I followed along the instructions on the AS page.

when I got my AMD 3000+ I scraped off the thermal paste off the stock heat sink/fan. I then used 99% isopropyl alcohol & a razor blade to clean off the leftover crap on the heat sink. I didn't lap it (because at the time I had no idea what lapping was) but I made sure that there wasn't any foreign matter on the surface of the heat sink.

then following the instructions I put a small blob on the heat sink and used some of that to put a tiny layer on the core of the cpu. I then took a plastic bag and rubbed the remainder into the heat sink. this removed *any* mirror-ish finish from the heat sink. I then set the heat sink on the cpu and locked it down.

but now after learning more about lapping I'm wondering, is there a point to rubbing in the AS5 into the heat sink?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if you're lazy, and have a superflawless hyperfine grit lapping job done on your HS you can skip it and have the same result as if you had rubbed the AS5 into the heat sink...

Just do it for good luck? :P

as with all metals and lubricants/coolants - metal is a porous material - *at a microscopic level* and rubbing in any kind of liquid, compound, or paste actually forces it inbetween the molecules of the metal - filling in the gaps - which is the purpose of heatsink paste - filling in the air to make a solid surface

think of it like marinating a juicy steak - the more u rub in the flavor the better the steak tastes - taste being heat transfer and the steak being your surfaces - nice annalogy - made me hungry - later - im off to eat now

Exangel, I read the instructions, perhaps you did not read all the way down the page to where the modern processor instructions are. The relevant parts follow and none of them include smearing, spreading or whatever.

On an Intel P4 or Athlon64 type CPU with a large metal heat spreader, put a small amount of Arctic Silver onto the center of the heat spreader as shown in the photo.

Only a small amount of Arctic Silver is needed

P4- About the size of an uncooked grain of short-grain white rice or 1/2 of a BB.

Athlon64- About the size of one and a half uncooked grains of short-grain white rice or 3/4 of a BB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. RECHECK to make sure no foreign contaminants are present on either the bottom of the heatsink or the top of the CPU core. Mount the heatsink on the CPU per the heatsink's instructions. Be sure to lower the heatsink straight down onto the CPU.

Since all I care about is P4/AMD64, thats the part I read. The other part where you smear it with a card or whatever is for old AMD32 CPUs.

I lap the heat sink with Ceramique and apply the AS5 to the core as instructed. I'm sure other methods are good as well, but mine definitely work.

Either way, the consistent factor here is "don't use too much". It's difficult to use too little imo.

Strange, today suddenly my load temp went down to 54-56 only, i'm happy bout it but still...strange. Maybe the as5 is kicking in early, haha will have to monitor it some more to see.

Mine didnt start doing that crap till I polished it. Anywho, after 2-3 times of it the socket no longer holds the chip very tight. It will hold it somewhat but much lifting force and it comes right out now. It still works so im not complaining but I avoid taking it apart because I always wonder if it will work the next time. Dunno about you but there is nothing I can do about it at all, there is barely any room move the HS around and its impossible to get anything under it to push between them.

yah its locked down, but the socket lever thingamagit is a small skinny plastic handle that look like it couldn't hold down anything even if it wanted to.

On an Intel P4 or Athlon64 type CPU with a large metal heat spreader, put a small amount of Arctic Silver onto the center of the heat spreader as shown in the photo.

Only a small amount of Arctic Silver is needed

P4- About the size of an uncooked grain of short-grain white rice or 1/2 of a BB.

Athlon64- About the size of one and a half uncooked grains of short-grain white rice or 3/4 of a BB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. RECHECK to make sure no foreign contaminants are present on either the bottom of the heatsink or the top of the CPU core. Mount the heatsink on the CPU per the heatsink's instructions. Be sure to lower the heatsink straight down onto the CPU.

Since all I care about is P4/AMD64, thats the part I read. The other part where you smear it with a card or whatever is for old AMD32 CPUs.

I lap the heat sink with Ceramique and apply the AS5 to the core as instructed. I'm sure other methods are good as well, but mine definitely work.

The original poster never said he had a P4 or A64, so I assumed it was an XP like most of us poorer geeks. ><

Sounds like you know your stuff. *kneel*

I resent you calling me poor, but I failed to see the ffectiveness of buying a 250 dollar intel when I got my unlocked barton 2500 for less than half of that back when they first came out. What I am trying to see is that just because I am cheap doesn't mean that you need to call me poor.

However, the drop method works the best in my experience, and I do believe if you search for it someone started a thread just about the aplication of AS5 and which method worked better....

EDIT:

EVERY time I consistently get lower temps with the small amount/press method

HERE

Edited by char1ie

Well I tried the method someone posted here, putting half a bb on hs then using a cc take a lil bit of it off then spread it all over the cpu until its a very thin layer. Then I spread the amt of as5 that is left on the hs using the plastic bag, afterward I wipe it all off with a lint free napkinthingamajig. I also clean up the wire inside the case a bit, glad to say that my CPU idle is 44-46c now, I know that is still high but mind you that was down from 52 or so idle. Case temp now is at 30 idle, down a couple degrees too. Yesterday my TT ducting mod arrived, found out the fan that came with the hs is a weee bit longer/bigger than the screws that came with TT ducting mod. Guess I

I resent you calling me poor, but I failed to see the ffectiveness of buying a 250 dollar intel when I got my unlocked barton 2500 for less than half of that back when they first came out.  What I am trying to see is that just because I am cheap doesn't mean that you need to call me poor.

Lighten up. I also happen to think its a frivolous luxury and could afford to get an A64 and a nForce3 mobo or a P4 and a new mobo if I wanted to, honestly, but theres really no reason to waste my income like that when I'm saving to buy a house and a WEGA projection TV with my boyfriend. It's as if I drove a lexus and decided hmm I should get an H2, that'll really show up my buddies at poker night. I already get more than satisfactory benchmarks and use my computer constantly for gaming, graphics editing, and using the horribly inefficient and resource hogging program called Outlook that just happens to have all the features I need in communications... ;_; but it handles it all, and gorgeously so.

Resent me calling geeks poorer for having XP's? Gimme a break. I was referring to myself, and the original poster, and I never pointed at you.

Congratulations DBZ, sounds like you've got it down fine. Your temps should improve for about 2 weeks of uptime, slowly but surely. ^-^ I am jealous of your temp, I run abnormally hot for someone with a Volcano 12, but it's because I can't get a stable overclock at any lower than 1.85 voltage for 11x200. I also don't run the fan at full speed though it brings the temp down better just because it gets Really loud any higher than 4k RPM.