Usb Boot On An Nf7-s

ravix

HELLO GOOGLE PEOPLE! I'm #1!!!!!

Well, I have an external cdrw drive, due to space constraints in a fairly small computer case. Its a tdk, and it works great, and looks awesome. When I bought it, I was worried about being able to boot to cd's using it, but I figured my nf7-s was a modern motherboard that would surely have the option to boot to usb. Wrong. I checked the abit forums, and the nf7 is, indeed, usb-boot devoid.

So now I sit here, with slackware 10 cd's fresh in hand, ready to go, and I have no way to boot them up. As far as I see it, I have 3 options:

1.) Try to find a 3rd party bios for the nf7-s that supports usb booting.

2.) Find a 3rd party program/emulator that allows me to boot to this thing. I have heard of usb drives that have drivers included that allow them to be recognized as zip drives, something like this would be ideal.

3.) Put the hard drive in the family computer, install linux, and then put it back in mine.

I'd rather avoid door #3, as I often boot to cd's and would hate to transfer my hard-drive every time I needed a quick boot. So, if any of you have some experience or ideas for the first two options, I'm all ears. Thanks. :)

*I didn't know what forum to put this in, (motherboard? storage?) so I just put it here as a catch-all.

Edited by ravix

yeah, pistachio said the easiest thing to do, borrow an internal CD drive from your other computer and just plug it in and boot from it. You dont have to install it inside the case or anything, just find a long IDE cable (any cable should be planty long) and just hook up the power then boot :) Good luck

Yeah, I have a few cd-rom's laying around, but..

Thats about as easy as option #3, which is something I really want to avoid. I am 99% sure I'm stuck with it though. Basically, I want to avoid opening up my case for a makeshift hardware change every time I want to boot to cd. I do alot of OS tweaks.

Oh well. Shame on abit for leaving out such a rudementary feature. (I have seen several low-end mobo's with the featurte. rawr) :(