Satellite Dsl

Even the President says you should get DSL - Broadband for everyone by 2007

Seriously though - even though most DSL/Satellite combinations have horrible upload speeds, and even worse upload latency times, it's still better than standard dial-up. Because of this, don't get the satellite if you intend to use any type of VPN connections, or if you run any apps that need good reliable connections...

I was on Satalite connection for about 2 years... I've never herd of Satalite DLS.

What I had was two way satalite communications. The best proformance I've seen with it was about 900kb down and 12kb up. Now that was with Starband or as we love to call it Suckband. It was more unstable then anthing I've connected with.

You can not play any Online games. PERIOD... The latencey is because of the 23,000 mile distance to the Satalite and back. My ping times just to the Host (Downlink side) was at best 900ms. You think a 56K has low Pings... ROFL.

With Starband they do not allow a Upload of port 80.

P2P sotware does not work well ether.

Depending on what you whana do.... If you want faster page loads then a 56k then get it.. If you wana play online games and surfe now and then stick with 56k.

The host machine you use also has to use a PPoX type software to make the packet structure larger and deal with the latency issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently living in a place that is about three hundred yards away from DSL and cable in every direction. So there are still spots that are untouched by cable and DSL. Only TV we get ATM is 5 channel local broadcast. Whoop-di-do for dial up. (I actually got fed up with it and don't keep my computer at my residence anymore)

-tsamb.

here where I live home residents can get cable, dsl, satellite dsl. the college gets T1. but 15 miles away across the river in KY their only options are 56k or satellite dsl.

Upload sucks, down isn't too bad, as said by other members.

Just don't plan on talking to your buddies on the net about how bad it's storming outside. I would guess that performance begins to suck when it gets overcast.

Btw, I'm on DSL out here in Iowa. In the country... $45-50 per month. 768/368 :D

haha, one more reason why england's better than usa! heh heh :P

sorry bud NO country is better than the usa

but ya when you consider my state(texas) is about as big as your whole nation u then realize that getting high spped internet to everybody is going to be very dificult

I'm in the same situation as Phil but the town i live in is behind in the technology stage. They just got dsl put in up town like 3 months ago. I do some games but more just downloading and stuff. As long as it was good enough that i can download over 100mbs faster than the 2 or 3 days it takes me on dial up then i would be happy.

if your gonna be just surfing and DLing go sata'