My Water Cooling Rig Ideas...

JEGS has racing trans cooler kit for about $45.  Not buying a radiator, buying a trans cooler, it's smaller and thinner.

Yeah, but how much BTU can it take? I've bin recommened this radi before, and i am not aiming for like 10*C temps just temps around 20-35

EDit: guys how much you think my temps will drop?

I am @ 47*C IDLE now.... i knowit sucks but thats the price of this OC

Edited by p8baller07

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know the BTU transfer, I don't sell propane or propane accessories. I work for a company that builds hotrods. But, people have been using heater cores from cars for watercooling for years. A heater core is just a small radiator. A trans cooler is just a big heater core (or smaller radiator, If you like).

Yeah you could use a radiator from a MTX or street bike, but as you said, they're expensive. But if you CAN get 10C temps WITHOUT paying an arm and a leg, then why not? If it can handle trans fluid(180F-210F), Im sure it can handle our measley 120F

I didn't see your OC #'s, but my cpu sits about 44C (pretty close to yours)and I've got a Hayden trans cooler just waitng for the Hydor pump to get here. It sits nicely in my window, the purple anodized aluminum looks REALLY cool with a couple LED fans behind it, and will be as chilly as an Eskimo outhouse. Don't know when you plan on your purchases, but I'll let you know my results when I get the system together.

The rad. you chose if a fine piece and would no way dissuade you from using it. The trans cooler in question is similar in total surface area, where the oc 'ers version is two smaller stacks, the auto version is one contiuous piece.

All in all I was just trying to present you with another option.

Edited by Pent uP Rage

Don't know the BTU transfer, I don't sell propane or propane accessories. I work for a company that builds hotrods. But, people have been using heater cores from cars for watercooling for years. A heater core is just a small radiator. A trans cooler is just a big heater core (or smaller radiator, If you like).

Yeah you could use a radiator from a MTX or street bike, but as you said, they're expensive. But if you CAN get 10C temps WITHOUT paying an arm and a leg, then why not? If it can handle trans fluid(180F-210F), Im sure it can handle our measley 120F

I didn't see your OC #'s, but my cpu sits about 44C (pretty close to yours)and I've got a Hayden trans cooler just waitng for the Hydor pump to get here. It sits nicely in my window, the purple anodized aluminum looks REALLY cool with a couple LED fans behind it, and will be as chilly as an Eskimo outhouse. Don't know when you plan on your purchases, but I'll let you know my results when I get the system together.

The rad. you chose if a fine piece and would no way dissuade you from using it. The trans cooler in question is similar in total surface area, where the oc 'ers version is two smaller stacks, the auto version is one contiuous piece.

All in all I was just trying to present you with another option.

Thanks, i was first refered to a heatercore from a 1982 chevette, and then someone posted the Radi link and said its the same thing but its all ready modded with the fittings (so i dont have to weld my own fittings on) But my OC #'s are

2600+ @ 2.5ghz(217x11.5) w/ 1.85vCore Temps now are 47*Idle 53* load.... You are saying that you get 44*C idle with your W/c system?!?! Thats stupid i might not even get w/c then if ill only drop about 3*C

Also the pump i got plugs into the wall is there anything wrong with my W/C running 24/7?

u could always buy a relay kit so that your w/c system only turns on when the computer turns on.

The w/c setup that u have should drop the temps a lot lower than 44C. If i'm not mistaken, i think Pent uP Rage is still waiting to install his water cooling ;)

just waitng for the Hydor pump to get here.

i have looked at the honda parts and they r retarded expencive prices like 80-90 bucks for a heater core canadian . i have seen some for like 20 bucks here so they r up there in price

yeah theyre right, tranny coolers would work well too. even perhaps oil coolers.

theres a few good places for the trans coolers.

Jegs and Summit

heck, check out truck supply places as well, they NEED transmission coolers if anything does some towing. that would be probably the cheapest place to go i think. a racing cooler would cost more but might be more efficient.

heres some i found that look nice.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Pro...228&prmenbr=361 (11" x 4.5") $46

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Pro...511&prmenbr=361 $this is a frame rail cooler...so its 17" long yeah...but only 2.5" thick and wide....so its long but very narrow. would fit nicely on the window sill? or some interesting installation possibilities....perhaps right in front of the window AC unit vents?...hmmm....now im thinking

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Pro...813&prmenbr=361 this one is $25 and 5" x 12"

some racing stickers might not look too bad....specialyl a moroso one from this odd looking cooler here http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Pro...537&prmenbr=361 called a heatsink trans cooler....

Edited by robAP

im confused....sorry to side track, only had one "bad" experience with water cooling so far which left my kit which came doa formt hef actory twice in the other room. i know about blocks etc resvoir etc, the radiator, but if im readinf correctly youd have all this set up, and a radiator from a car/go-kart/dirtbike used as your radiator mounted in your case? or outside of your case? are the fans pointed at it just for show or some use? would it convert to be able to use power from your case if you took it off the go-kart etc? im slow but learning.

Yes, I believe the perma cool rad will cool better. Simple fact, it's TWICE as big as the dangerden. More overall surface area to dissipate heat.

Besides, In my opinion, the dangerden looks an AWFUL lot like an automotive heater core(That's wher the heater gets its heat from :) ) They too have been used for OC'ing for years. If you dont want the perma-cool, you could check out a heater core from just about any '80's GM model.(I've seen quite a few camaro cores used) Go ask the guy at auto parts store to take a look at one and inspect it for yourself. Heck if it's a better store, they might even have a trans cooler, braided line, fittings, water wetter, and just about everything you need to build the ultimate water cooling system. You can even use an external electric fuel pump for your water pump. They're 12V, adjustable, and most are gravity fed from a res(or gas tank) and will pump hundreds of gallons per hour if you so desire.

But that may be getting to be a little much :D

Edited by Pent uP Rage

Yes, I believe the perma cool rad will cool better.  Simple fact, it's TWICE as big as the dangerden.  More overall surface area to dissipate heat. 

Besides, In my opinion, the dangerden looks an AWFUL lot like an automotive heater core(That's wher the heater gets its heat from :) )  They too have been used for OC'ing for years.  If you dont want the perma-cool, you could check out a heater core from just about any '80's GM model.(I've seen quite a few camaro cores used)  Go ask the guy at auto parts store to take a look at one and inspect it for yourself.  Heck if it's a better store, they might even have a trans cooler, braided line, fittings, water wetter, and just about everything you need to build the ultimate water cooling system.  You can even use an external electric fuel pump for your water pump.  They're 12V, adjustable, and most are gravity fed from a res(or gas tank) and will pump hundreds of gallons per hour if you so desire. 

But that may be getting to be a little much :D

Thanks, ....ok. I guess ill have some changes..

I am getting a perma-cool radi

..and the swiftech mcp600 pump, i've bin told i need that pump for the TDX water block i am gonna get... I also heard taht the new swiftech blocks perform better than TDX's...so what waterblock should i go with?

and if i got theSwiftech MCW6000- Water Block, i've only seen it for 3/4OD, and my system is gonna be 1/2OD so id need some converts, and with that block should i still use that swifttech pump? or should i go hydor L35?

Edited by p8baller07

if i got theSwiftech MCW6000- Water Block, i've only seen it for 3/4OD, and my system is gonna be 1/2OD so id need some converts, and with that block should i still use that swifttech pump? or should i go hydor L35?

You could use an Eheim 1250 from Dangerden.com. Higher flow rates, has fittings you need and is fairly comparable in price. But the Hydor is a good pump.

With a 110 pump, I suggest using a PCI relay card too.

Eheim 1250-Eheim pump link.

PCI Realy-dangerden.com--pump accessories