Opinions Needed

Right. Here's the choice. I am trying to decide what to buy first. My mobo will support up to a 2.8GHz P4 w/ 533Mhz FSB (I'm using a 1.6GHz P4 OC'ed to 1.75), so I want to upgrade to that. I also don't have a cd burner (I know, it's pitiful). I have an NVidia GeForce 4MX 440 w/ 64 MB. And finally, I have 512MB of RAM w/ no open slots. The question, and this is where I need all your opinions, is what should I upgrade first, second, and so on? Keep in mind that performance is my primary concern. My thought would be to go for the 2.8 P4 first, but that's just me. Post away.

If you are into games, there is no question which one to get first, .... A video card

2nd : Mobo if you are wanting to completely overhaul the system

3rd : CPU

4th : Ram

If I were you, I would get a motherboard that supports 800mhz cpu's. Then get a 2.8c(good price on them now) If you're not in to gaming, upgrade the ram next. Then the video, of course if you are into gaming, video then ram. The 800mhz cpu's will give the best performance, and you don't need to get a top of the line motherboard to achieve that.

I agree with LobbDogg here. For gaming and fun, a video card first would be the answer. That card is gimped to begin with and you can't play games like Deus Ex - Invisible War with your current one. Pixel shaders, extra pipes and clock speed will make the best jump in gaming perf (I assume you are into gaming because you want to upgrade the vid card)

After that the mobo since RAM built for the faster buses or faster CPUs might have issues with the current mobo (doesn't support higher speed RAM)

Then get the RAM, because until you upgrade the CPU, you can improve performance by running tight timings.

Lastly the CPU, All the pieces come togeather and you have a masterpiece. Plus processor prices will drop lower for the one you want once you get all the other stuff.