Do You Leave Your Computer On?

Phil

How often do you shut off your computer?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you shut off your computer?

• Whenever I'm not using it
    • Whenever I'm going to be away from it for a while
    • Only at night
    • Leave on all the time

I think spending money on a high quality power supply with active PFC (power factor correction) should prevent any kind of problems that might arise from power cycling...

I really don't think power cycling would do that much damage anyway unless you tried like turning it on an off 10,000 times in an hour or something.

As has been mentioned, the addition to your electricity bill from 24/7 folding is the only real concern, either if it's your parents or, like me, if it comes out of your own pocket...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with power cycling really isn't with the PSU... though I would imigine it would be tough on it...

When you turn your computer on, your CPU goes from idle to full load (as well as cold to hot.. duh) in a matter of secconds..... Your GPU and RAM are also suddenly placed under a sudden temperature change, though not as much as the CPU. -- This stress on the components is what is bad.

I had thought in my ignorance that it might be the C drive that would get the abuse since it physically spins at high speed. Apparently other things are more at risk at restart?

I think spending money on a high quality power supply with active PFC (power factor correction) should prevent any kind of problems that might arise from power cycling...

I really don't think power cycling would do that much damage anyway unless you tried like turning it on an off 10,000 times in an hour or something.

As has been mentioned, the addition to your electricity bill from 24/7 folding is the only real concern, either if it's your parents or, like me, if it comes out of your own pocket...

i wonder how much money i am actually spending leaving it on vs. turning it off in the evenings, any ideas or formulas ?

i am sure it's not much

I had thought in my ignorance that it might be the C drive that would get the abuse since it physically spins at high speed. Apparently other things are more at risk at restart?

You do have a point, but if your not writing or reading from the hard drive 24/7 its not that much stress, also, I think the physical parking of the read write heads during power down and initialiation of them during power on would be more wearing than constant power.

I turn mine off if im not downloading anything. Sometimes ill just get paranoid about the temps, sometimes i wake up ad my CPU is 52 degrees! So i usually turn mine off, but if im at work or something ill just let it download something for when i get home :P

at night i turn off 3 out of my 4 comp's only to reduce heat and a little noise.

i would also have to agree with d3 frist post, where i'm sure that it is shorting the total life span, but i upgrade every 6-12 months and pass it down the line to my younger brothers, then its not my problem when it dies

never turn mine off, stays folding, but i do restart it once a week

Mind if I ask why you do this? Do some things reset?

(restart, that is)

Edited by Phil

I think it's better for a computer to start up fresh. If you leave a computer on for a week, there have been loads of progs taking up memory and the RAM seems to slow down when it gets fragged. Progs tend to load slower too. Just my personal opinion, but i turn mine off most the time, just so it can refresh. I also do a lot of tweaking in windows and this causes me to restart. As the rest say, if you OC, then why worry? :rolleyes:

My primary (and sometimes other) box(es) at home in New Zealand I left running 24/7, but now that I have moved in with a friend here in the States, he pays for power so I feel bad when we get the bill each month, so I only leave my box here on when I am in the house or using it. When I travel back to NZ, it'll be 24/7 again for every one.

-tsamb.