How In The Hell

Hey all Im sorta new to this overclocking but I was wondering I have seen barton core and prescott and all that well I have Intel celeron p4 1.8 ghz oc'd to 2087 and so far so good Im having to use a window fan to keep it cool though anyway my question is this how can i tell what type of core I have?barton,precott etc. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, seeing as how you dont have an amd its not gonna be a barton, thoughrobread (however its spelled) or a palimino core. But speaking of intel, I dont know the names of those. Even though I own an intel. :lol:

Edited by andrusk

Hey all Im sorta new to this overclocking  but I was wondering I have seen barton core and prescott and all that well I have Intel celeron p4 1.8 ghz oc'd to 2087 and so far so good Im having to use a window fan to keep it cool though anyway my question is this how can i tell what type of core I have?barton,precott etc. any help would be greatly appreciated.

erm i'm no intel expert but its either a p4 or a celeron not both. also the barton is an amd core not an intel one. and thirdly try out this little program. its freeware so you don't have to pay for it :D

CPU-Z download center

EDIT:: wow we all replied within one mintute of each other. strange :huh:

here are my stats from wcpuid see if this helps

Processor #1 : Intel Celeron / 4AF0A7F2

Platform : Socket478 (mPGA478 Socket)

Vendor String : GenuineIntel

CPU Type : Original OEM Processor (0)

Family : 15 (0)

Model : 1 (0)

Stepping ID : 3 (-)

Brand ID : 10 (-)

APIC : 0

HT Log.CPU Cnt : ----

Name String : Intel® Celeron® CPU 1.80GHz

Internal Clock : 2087.93 MHz

System Bus : 463.98 MHz QDR

System Clock : 116.00 MHz

Scalable Speed : 133.33 MHz

Multiplier : 18.0

L1 I-Cache : ----

L1 D-Cache : 8K Byte

L1 T-Cache : 12K uOps

L1 Cache : ----

L2 Cache : 128K Byte

L2 Speed : 2087.93 MHz (Full)

MMX Unit : Supported

SSE Unit : Supported

SSE2 Unit : Supported

SSE3 Unit : Not Supported

MMX2 Unit : Not Supported

3DNow! Unit : Not Supported

3DNow!+ Unit : Not Supported

Host Bridge : 1106:3148.00 [VIA Apollo P4M266/A]

South Bridge : 1106:3177.00 [VIA VT8233A]

VGA Device : 10DE:0171.A3 [NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440]

Memory Size : 256M Byte

Memory Clock : ----

OS Version : Windows XP Version 5.1.2600

Multipliers on intels are locked, and there is no way to unlock it. The only way to overclock is by the FSB.

You won't gget a very good overclock with the Willamette core because it used a .18 micron process. Keep increasing until you get errors in Prime95, then back it down a bit.

Thanks for the help. I was also wondering if that was as high as I can go with this processor.Because I cant tell a difference in performance.I have my vid card oc'd and couldnt tell a difference.I have one stick of 256 ddr pc2700 is this a limiting factor?

it might be....get some pc 3200

PC3200 is overkill... Get another stick of PC2700, and you will definately notice a performance improvement.

Remember that Celeron's have a 100MHz FSB (400MHz QPB), so for running at stock speeds they only need PC1600. For overclocks, PC2100 should be enough, and anything above PC2700 is overkill.