Wifi Wireless

was wondering if i got a laptop with a built in card what was the eligibility i could connect from anywhere pretty much? ~ hook me upz.

Several of the same companies that have cell phone service, sprint, verizon, etc. have a pc card you can buy I am sure it is not free and neither is there service you can check with them but the built in one you will probably be limited to hotspots like the coffee shops, resturaunts etc.

left that part out didnt I or your own wireless router or access point, I have 1 linksys 802.11g hooked to my cable modem and running 14 machines from it right now I had 19 running on it when I was at my parents, sure is nice not to have to run wires

Edited by road-runner

If the Notebook has a WiFi card built into it, then you'd still have to find a WiFi Access point.

Be it your own, your neighbors, or a "hot spot".

How well you connect depends on signal, distance, LOS, and technology.

You can also buy a Wireless network Finder, i've seen them many places...including Compusa.

A friend of mine bought one of those and told me there are no wi fi access points in this area, they do not pick up very far hes living on one of the biggest wireless isp networks in texas on lake conroe, I have a card with external antenna jack and antenna and amps I found about 25 in his neigborhood, you can get www.netstumbler.com for free but it only works with certain cards although they just came out with a new version last week, that works with more cards now

And by the way just because it comes one built in make sure you have a pc slot on the side to add you own later if needed you can disable the built in one that is what I had to do to my dads toshiba he is thinking about signing up with verizon I think its like $50.00 a month and is suppossed to work pretty much any where there cell phones work and supposed to be a decent speed so he tells me, I have not checked it out yet and he does not know a lot about computers but this is what someone he saw on a construction job site using, and thats what they told him, but he also seen another guy using a sprint card, I was reading a while back and think the big four wireless carriers are supposed to be getting together to have a broader range without any roaming charges I am not sure if they ever figured out what they were going to do exactly and got all that worked or not, I googled it and was reading about some about it.

Edited by road-runner