A7v8x-x Wont Boot At 166 Fsb With 2500xp

Hi all. I am having this stupid problem that I cannot figure out. I have spoken to ATI and Asus and no one knows what is going on, getting the run around. Here are my specs before I get into it:

ATI Radeon 9800XT

AMD Barton 2500

Infineon PC2700 DDR 512 2X (1024)

Western Digital 80 gig HD 8 megs cache

Asus A7V8X-X

WinXP

SB Audigy 2 ZS

I recently purchased an ATI 9800XT card. Previously had a Ti4200 and never any problems. After installing the 9800 I would get lokcups galore and constant freezes, couldnt even boot into WinXP for some reason, would constany restart my system. I tried new RAM and upgraded my Bios from 1006 to 1007 to 1008 etc and still a no go. I tried 3 different RAM stciks and ruled out that it wasnt RAM as they were all good pieces. One day for the heck of it after reading something on the net I lowered my FSB to 165 instead of the correct 166 for the 2500. WHOALA, it posted perfectly and the system has been stable ever since. Does anyone know why I cant post at 166 FSB, the proper frequency for the Barton 2500 and what I had it set to previously with the Ti4200. Thanks all and cheers.

Cobthaich

Thanks so much for the replies. I actually forgot to put that one in. I thought it was a PSU issue as well and upgraded from a generic 400watt PUS to an Antec Truepower 480 watt PSU. Still didnt help. Havent tried putting above 166. I will try that and get back to you. This wouldnt mean I have a faulty CPU or MOBO would it? Thanks guys.

Cobthaich

Oh, that PSU is more than sufficient. I don't think it would be due to any sort of defective hardware...perhaps some stupid bios setting is causing problems. You know, all those various AGP settings...make sure your agp drive strength is set to "auto" and stuff like that....that's all I can think of.

Hey Eva_Unit_0

Checked over teh AGP settings and all is supposedly at auto, havent tweaked anything really, the MOBO A7V8X-X really doesnt let you change that much in that area. This is wierd eh?

Yeah, that really is weird...um, have you tried running it at 166fsb and then bumping the vcore up a little? I mean, you shouldn't have to do that...but at least give it a shot. Bump it from the stock 1.65V up to like 1.7V or so. see if that helps stability.

I'm shooting in the dark, though...that is very strange :blink:

So its my CPU, is it screwed up? I am testing the FSB at 167 right now. It actually turned on but I am not counting on it keeping. I once got it to run at 166 for a day and then BLAM, wouldnt load. So stayed at 165 as it was stable there. So you think its my CPU? Cheers

Cobthaich