Cold Boot Problems

kirky_D

ok so i'm ocing my mobile (obviously) i get it to 12*204 prime stable and no cold boot issues. but when i try 12.5*195 its prime stable aswell, but when i leave it off for the night and come to start my comp back up again in the morning it won't post and i have to set my bios again. but when i set it back to 12.5*195 after resetting cmos it posts.

what causes these cold boot issues?

thanks guys

Hmmm...wonder if it is a CPU issue... this has been an issue for some (not me) with the DFI LanParty boards... on the LP board it has something to do with the voltage to get everything going....

Since I haven't had the problem I haven't paid too much attention to it... I'll see if I can find more info for you....

there are long discussions over at www.amdmb.com in the DFI forum...I know that isn't your board... but it may help shed light...

it does seem that this is a very dificult thing to track down though...

Cold boot issues are in all NF2 based motherboard, however lately DFI has been more publicized than others. The cause varies from system to system, if I were you I would run through the basic checklist (PSU, RAM, etc.) and once done with that determine which you think would cause it. My best guess would be that it's the motherboard, but at least you can reset CMOS and get it to post again! Thats a luxury that others can't enjoy...

i dont actually have to reset cmos. i just turn off the power let it rest a few seconds then turn it back on. it puts all the settings back to the lowest (like all nf2 boards i believe) then jus go into bios to set it up again. a dont mess with any jumpers or any batteries which i think is very wierd.

its not my ram because it's running on a divider. if its not my processor or motherboard (i have no way of checking) then i would also say it was my psu its a generic 450 watt. i had never thought of my psu being the problem though.

maybe i can borrow rick's thermaltake 420W to see if thats the problem. what do ya say rick?

I'd say the psu might be the issue...when you first turn on your comp, all the stuff takes a BIG draw off the psu, quite a bit more than it draws while actually running. It probably is having problems giving that big surge of power...try unplugging all your hard drives and optical drives and see if it does it, or just try a REALLY strong psu that you know can take the stress.

I'd say the psu might be the issue...

...try unplugging all your hard drives and optical drives and see if it does it, or just try a REALLY strong psu that you know can take the stress.

that's what I was thinking too. But a 500W generic won't give you what you need. So just to be clear, "really strong psu" means good quality. And some psu's known to be "good quality" aren't necessarily the best for OC'ing like Zalman psu's for instance; it's quiet but not as rock-stable as other brands (according to reviews).

i had a similar problem an a via kt400 mobo..just wouldnt post after a night off...pissed me off quite a bit i had to unlpug the computer pull the cmos jumper plug in then plug the psu back in..it wouldnt work if i jsut did hte jumper and i have no clue why

You wouldn't happen to have the 450w PS that comes witht he Chieftec cases would you?, because I just upgraded to a Chieftec and now I am having the cold boot problems you describe, exact same thing bios resets to lowest settings and all, only thing different is I have a 2500+ non-mobile at 205x11

Edited by 360RamGuy01

Just a little info to maybe help you guys out on the post problems. One thing some mobo's allow is to turn off the system, wait 5 sec. then hold down the insert key, wait 5 more sec. then while still holding the insert key down, start the system. this will usually reset the bios cpu speeds to default and allow you to post without having to move jumpers etc. to clear the cmos.

Some abit mobo's have this very same problem, i found that getting the latest bios update can sometimes fix this.

And last but not least: The PSU will have a lot to do with this problem, usually what happens is that you have several devices connected all trying to pull power at the same time, when this happens, some systems don't respond well, and of course as you guessed, the system won't boot or hangs.

I would try to update the bios befor going out and getting a new PSU though.

Just a few sugestions from someone new to the forum... good luck

markdm P4 3.0 OC'd @ 3.76 B)