Lenghting Speaker Wire

LivingInClip

Alright, I have a co-worker who wants to take his 2.1 setup and make the speaker wires longer, so that he can put them in a different place of the room. Of course the L& R speakers go into the SUB and the SUB goes into the PC . My idea was to simply strip the cable for each the L&R wire cut the cable (where the power goes to the SUB), splice some speaker wire with it, wrap it in electrical tape, splace the input back with some more speaker wire and electrical tape, thus enhancing the size of his speaker cables. He doesn't want to do it unless he *knows* it will work - and I can't gurantee that, as I've never done it for computer speakers. So, here's my questions...

(1) Will it work?

(2) If not - how would we go about doing what he is wanting?

Yeah itll work.

Ive been lengthining my speaker cable for years by splicing a couple ends, wrapping the two wires together and covering with electrical tape. Better yet, use heat shrink, thall be so fresh and so clean.

Actually, just re read and post and realized your talking about computer speakers.

Ive never done it for computer speakers, but I know it works for stereo speakers, so I dont see why it wouldnt work for computer speakers.

Edited by andrusk

itll work...

it will degrade the sound though...

you may want to open up the speaker and sub and connect NEW wires to the connectors on the speakers and sub

Guest ThermalGuru

It will degrade sound quality like mentioned above, but that should only be an issue if you are in a recording studio. I have my MegaWorks 6.1 575 W computer speakers spliced to my Rear speakers. I hear no sound degradation what-so-ever, but I know it is there. If you were to put it on an audioscope, it would show up, but not to the human ear unless maybe you are Beethoven or something. Go for it dude, unless those speakers are of outstanding quality anyway, if you aren't happy with it, just buy another cheap pair.

Alright, thank's a lot guy's. He mainly uses this for playing his mp3's - but as it is, he has to set at his desk to listen to thm. He is wanting to move the speakers closer to his bed, then use a wireless keyboard / mouse to navigate his mp3's. Like I said, he just wanted to make sure it would work before we done it.

It will degrade sound quality like mentioned above, but that should only be an issue if you are in a recording studio. I have my MegaWorks 6.1 575 W computer speakers spliced to my Rear speakers. I hear no sound degradation what-so-ever, but I know it is there. If you were to put it on an audioscope, it would show up, but not to the human ear unless maybe you are Beethoven or something. Go for it dude, unless those speakers are of outstanding quality anyway, if you aren't happy with it, just buy another cheap pair.

wasnt Beethoven deaf?

is it 3.5mm cable that plugs into the sub, if so, you can just use an extension cable, that costs less than $5

A little off topic, but i couldn't resist......wasn't Beethoven deaf? :withstupid::bah:

I went and bought some RCA speaker wirde and some couplers and made myself some extendors. That way, I didn't have to cut my precious speakers. I haven't noticed any difference in sound quality, but I don't really consider myself and audiophile...

A little off topic, but i couldn't resist......wasn't Beethoven deaf?  :withstupid:  :bah:

I think he deafened himself, but he could still "hear" by feeling vibration - that's how good he was. He could compose at a piano just fine by feeling the vibration through the floor.

Edited by Some_Guy_

Beethoven was deaf

A great musician, but deaf. It started when he was doing his 4th symphony and by the time he wrote the 9th (his masterpiece) he was as deaf as it gets.

Back on topic...

If you use good quality wires with very low impedance (any commercial speaker wire should be good enough if the speakers are not to loud) no degradation should be perceived.

Computer speakers are, in most cases, just regular speakers in a magnetic shielded box. In the case of your friend, amplification takes place in the subwoofer, if you cut the wires before they enter the subwoofer, you would be in the low power part of the circuit and could more easily degrade the sound.

There are some very rare computer speakers which use different signals, like the USB speakers in some Macintosh. But I