Is Nvidia still superior to Amd for folding?

camaro_dude15

gotten back into the folding, Right now ive got  a gtx 690,  gtx 1050, and rtx 2060 all running 24/7, but ive got a pair of 7990's and an r9 390 collecting dust, is it worth pulling one or more of the nvidia cards to run one of these amd cards????

I don't think AMD has been known to be good for folding. They run hot, draw a lot of power and produce low PPD. Honestly you can sell them and buy newer NVIDIA card.

heat and power aren't much of a concern, more so is it worth the time to try it?  with the inconsistencies im seeing in work units it take probably a week to get a good feel for ppd. if I didn't know that folding was nicer on nvidia (historically) I would assume the r9 would smoke the 1050 

well browsing the folding forums it seems the RX 5700 XT gets 1.2 Million PPD. R9 390 -  350K and 7990 - 30K PPD. So I guess the NAVI GPUs aren't bad for folding. I get like 1.8 Million with a RTX 2080 SUPER.

been thinking about upgrading from my 390.  I bought it from a member here, and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been used for folding.  regardless, it runs great.  and I'd be willing to sell if if there's any interest