VERY slow transfer speed (external to external)

RadioActivated

Hey guys,

I have 2 Seagate USB3.0 external drives (1x2TB & 1x6TB) and I am trying to transfer 1TB of stuff from one drive to another. The transfer speed is ~3mb per second and it says it's gonna take more than 1 day, what the heck is going one? My MB drivers are brand new, so what can be the problem?

AMD 3900X 9

ASUS X570 PLUS GAMING

32GB VENGEANCE RAM

GEFORCE 2070 SUPER RTX

750W SEASONIC GOLD+

Well it should go at 100 MB/s or higher. Do you have the chipset drivers installed? I know it sounds stupid but if you don't have the right drivers than it reverts to USB 2.0 and uses Windows defaults ones. 

The other option is one drive is bad, which is why the read (or write) speed is so low. I guess it also could be if you are copying lots of little files than it will give you a false number. Try copying one big file and see if goes. Lots of choices....

5 hours ago, ir_cow said:

Well it should go at 100 MB/s or higher. Do you have the chipset drivers installed? I know it sounds stupid but if you don't have the right drivers than it reverts to USB 2.0 and uses Windows defaults ones. 

The other option is one drive is bad, which is why the read (or write) speed is so low. I guess it also could be if you are copying lots of little files than it will give you a false number. Try copying one big file and see if goes. Lots of choices....

Installed latest chipset driver, getting 60-70mbps, much better!