Mesh compatibility

R3C

Hello i want to buy a router to management my home network, but I want something that keep my phone and laptop allways connected to wifi, without lost or reconnetion. Just like mesh system works. 

Right now i got some devolo magic 2 powerline and the network provided router. 

My question is, mesh system is compatibility even in diferents compannies and  models, or mesh only work with each other like asus clamins withbis aimesh?

Mesh WiFi systems consists of a main router that connects directly to your modem, and a series of nodes placed around your house for full WiFi coverage. They are all part of a single wireless network and share the same SSID and password. 

eero Pro Mesh WiFi is a vary solid system and is basically plug and play, they offer coverage from 1,750 sq. ft. up to 6,000 sq. ft.  https://eero.com/shop

Found this on devolves support site. FAQ - devolo Magic : Which hardware are Magic devices compatible with? :  "Magic devices are compatible with all routers and HomeGrid Forum products"  https://www.devolo.de/support/faq

So looks like you can replace your router with another company router,.. and your good.  :cheers: 

Edited by Braegnok

• 2 months later...

I have only used Asus routers in AiMesh and I can tell you that they work really well.

The wifi drop issue isnt always necessarily the router itself causing the issue it can be how busy the wifi is around you. Like how close are you to your neighbor and how many wifi's are around you.

Even the best routers will drop wifi when there is collision issues and packets are lost.

I have found to use a WiFi analyzer app and see whats going on around you and adjusting your router according. Before I upgraded to the AiMesh I was having WiFi drop issues constantly. After I upgraded I was still experiencing them but not as often. I found that routers would change channels and when the routers around me jumped on the same channel as mine it caused the drop. I used the app to see what channels are most non used and locked my router to that channel and took off Auto-Channel. Since then I have not had any issue with drops.

Routers are set to Auto-Channel by default and they are supposed to auto negotiate what other routers close by are and keep you separate. I've found using the app that when one router swaps a channel  they all follow...

• 5 months later...

I chosen to pick the asus blue cave to take care of my network, but I decide to not use it as a wifi hotspot. 

I bought more devolo wifi magic 2, it got mesh but when iv doing a video chat and moving around house i lose connection. 

My question is, on hotspots with mesh i should pick diferent channels or the same channel onnall spots?