I Have a Dream... (how to rewrite memory SPD)

Hi,

Soooo i've been pokin around ddr memories and most of the seem to have identical chips layuouts and other info, and the manufacturing factory and time is roughly the same. I would like to write SPD on a ramstick and how do i do it? I need to edit the manufacturer, model speed and such on the module. How is this accomplished? Has anyone done this?

Edited by Karvizzz

Years ago for DDR3 you would use Thaiphoon Burner,.. not sure what software they are using nowadays.

Re-binning memory modules is not something to be taken lightly, you need i2c-tools to decode-dimms for reading RAM information in a human-readable format. It requires the eeprom kernel module to be accessed via SMBus to read the Serial presence detect (SPD).

Unless your working on a MacBook Pro with soldered modules, re-binning and writing the code is not worth the hassle.

Be very careful if you try this at home. You may obviously damage or permanently write-protect your DIMM. More subtle possible accidents include messing up your battery logic circuit or even bricking your motherboard. 

Edited by Braegnok

I was  looking into this also. I don't think you can rewriite the SPD. They are read-only these days from what I can tell.  Maybe it only seems like read-only since Thaiphoon Burner can't do anything besides read my Gskill memory.