Cpu-problem

Hi,folks,

i have a silly but impotaint problem:

i have a compaq deskpro ep/sb 6350 series pc with a

compaq 041ch 440bx chipset(AGPSet FW82443BX,SL2T5),slot 1,fsb 100,BIOS 686 T2:08/21/99.

my cpu at this time is a pentium III Katmai 550Mhz sl3fj 512Kb/2V/30,8W/80

The coppermine chips will not work because they are a different socket type. You have the original Slot 1 cpu type, while they later changed the cpus to the socket 370 platform. Also, that board probably does not support 133fsb, which puts the later pIII chips out of the question also.

thanks for the fast reply,

all of the cpu models at the top are coppermine ,slot 1.

it's true that the most coppermine cpu's gone socket 370 fcpga or later fcpga2 but the problem with the fsb 133 poited in your message doesn't really make the things worse ,cause i can have an appropriate adapter slot 1 to socket 370 fcpga or even slot 1 to socket 370 fcpga2(which could fix the problem to run a tualatin one on my mobo!),that will solve the problem with the fsb incompatibility...

the main reason to post my question is to find a solution which will work not only theoretically :)!

So if anyone has an experience with these kind of oldtimer, i'll be glad to read his advice!

thanks at all

till later

Oh, ok. I'm sorry, I'm not too familiar with the PIII chips and all the various adapters out there. I was using Socket 7 and Socket A at that time. I agree with bishop that you'd probably be better off just getting an inexpensive mobo and a new cpu, since you'll probably be paying quite a bit for those PIII's on ebay anyway. You can get a Duron 1.6ghz for 38 bucks on pricewatch, and those things overclock VERY well. Just a thought to consider.

Yes , that's right-the price for the old stuff is too big,that's why i called my problem a ! silly ! but importaint(for me) question.

In fact i don't even want to argue with you in this discussion ,

the point is- i want to bring this old one pc to the end of its potential-the price doesn't really matter for sure.

I agree with your opinion and i'm still waiting for good advices on my problem.

Hey, I'm not trying to start anything. I'm just simply giving my opinion, since that is what you wanted. I'm trying my best to help you, but I've already stated that PIII chips are NOT what I have a lot of experience with.

Anyway, here's what I think regarding the cpu issue: The slot/socket adapters do not change the available fsb speeds, so if your board only supports 100fsb, then only a 100fsb pIII chip will work, even if you're using the adapter. Thus, I think you should go with the fastest 100fsb chip available. (probably that 900mhz one, right?) What cpu you can use is completely dependant on what fsb that board supports.

I that wasn't what you wanted to hear, then I'm sorry, but I'm trying my best.

socket type is not the biggest problem. there are adapters to go from socket 370 to slot 1. there are however 2 other major problems. will this board take a coppermine? and finding one with a 100mhz fsb. since the BX didn't officially (and no way in heaven or hell did a compaq BX board) support the 133fsb.

Hi ,there,

i'm very glad for you show your interest in this problem!

What i found till this moment:

AIDA32 gives me: your mobo supports faster cpu's up to 950 Mhz;

Sisoft Sanddra Std. SP1 2004 says: your mobo runs faster cpus 950 MHz +;

i saw people who have posted information at the internet, they have mobo 440 bx an run Pentium III 800Mhz !which actually coppermine are!

The biggest Problem is to run a Tualatin with my mobo and i found the adapter:

Powerleap Slot1 to Sockel 370 Adapter PL-iP3/T Revision 2.0(FCPGA2)-

it has its own power supply and supports 66/100/133MHz/auto ... the problem is ,i have FSB 100 Mhz so i could run at best a Pentium III-S at 1400MHz or a Celeron at the same speed cause my multiplier(and they would probably run at 950 MHz)...

so when i have my results -i don't know when i'll fix the problem, i'll post my results at your forum and we'll discuss them.

Hope this will be interesting for you!

Thanks a lot !

Till later

why waste your money on a older chip, dont let your cash burn a hole in you pocket you can get a nice set up for under 400$ maybe try saving?

shesh i have listed in the for sale forum a shuttle mini 865g computer with 512ddr ram/geforce fx 5200u 256mb video all you would need to add is hd and cpu and you can get a nice fast p4 for under 150$ and i am selling it for 200$ try to find deals befor jumping in to buying an stone aged cpu

just cuz it's an 800mhz PIII does not mean it's a coppermine

PIII 800: 100mhz fsb 512k cache 1/2 cpu speed, katmai core

PIII 800B: 133mhz fsb 512k cache 1/2 cpu speed, katmai core

PIII 800e: 100mhz fsb 256k cache full cpu speed, coppermine core

PIII 800eb: 133mhz fsb 256k cache full cpu speed, coppermine core

also don't listen to sissoft on that stuff. sisoft is only checking the chipset. which technially the BX chipset could handle cpus all the way on upto the celeron 1.4ghz, WITH THE RIGHT BIOS. compaq doesn't bother to fix the bios for things like that, they're in the buisness of selling you a new pile-o-dung compaq.

and I do agree with the above statement. for the cost of a older athlon xp (2400+ or older) along with a micro atx board with some decent ddr ram, you could out fit that comp to some modern specs for as little as $120.

Hi, bigred,

i aprreciate your opinion and i don't want to say :Hi ,folks,let's go to the stone age!

i also have a new one celeron at 1,7 GHz on a DFI mobo.

my hobby is to make pc's work on the top ,and the discussed one was a present : compaq with 256 mb of ram with P II 350 Mhz !.

So please,don't send me offers for new pc's -i'm aware of that stuff i don't need it.

And i'm also thankful for you're trying to help me but point is:

I am glad to hear an advice from someone with experince of my case.

So ,bigred, take a look at this links:

* http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20000511/pentiumiii-07.html ,

* http://support.premiopc.com/faqs/cumine-slot1-1.htm,

* ftp://download.intel.com/design/PentiumII...dt/24445349.pdf.

There are no Pentium III 800B or 800e,the only Pentium III-S with 512Kb cache is with 133 MHz FSB and Cu-mine core :SL66D,SL6HC;

besides Kaimai are with 100 MHz FSB 512 Kb and up to 600 MHz speed.

I already said ,i'm greatly thankful !

till later