Considering a gaming/video editing build

Avinexis

Okay, so I'm just looking to throw a few ideas at the wall here and hopefully one of them will stick. I'll post a couple of builds with my prices in GBP (and a loose conversion to USD for comparison purposes) so that I can get an idea of the performance/cost ratio.

Okay so:

Skylake DDR4 Build

Edited by Viexi

If you will be doing video work imho stay with one of the I7 builds, the hyper treading of the I7 makes a difference you would need with some programs, as far as a ddr4 compared to a ddr3 build that depends on how much you want to spend and if you want the newest tech or not.

If you will be doing video work imho stay with one of the I7 builds, the hyper treading of the I7 makes a difference you would need with some programs, as far as a ddr4 compared to a ddr3 build that depends on how much you want to spend and if you want the newest tech or not.

Okay so i7 it is. I'd imagine that it'll keep me going for a longer time anyway. Always need to bear in mind that a higher cost now is more than likely a lower cost later on, too :)

So I've been using this PCPartPicker website and I've managed to find some really good deals here:

Edited by Viexi

Looks like a decent build, the tx3 will not handle a heavy oc but should be fine at stock clocks and much better than the stock intel cooler. If you could bump it up to a CM212 evo you might have some oc room if needed.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

So! I decided to go for it! A Skylake build for as good a deal as I possibly could (impatience permitted.)

The components are here already, so I'll probably take a few shots and have a small build post or something. It won't be super pretty and my calls management leaves a lot to be desired, but it's so exciting!

Great choice I was going to pop in and recommend what everyone else has:

Intel CPU (more cores the better), and more RAM (16GB or more).

I remember working with video in the past and CPU and memory were the kings, I'd recommend filling up the rest of your memory slots once you sell your old components!

I remember working with video in the past and CPU and memory were the kings, I'd recommend filling up the rest of your memory slots once you sell your old components!

Ah, there's a name I remember! How have you been Mythos? I made the mistake of calling you Ivi for about a year and a half :D

I will definitely get around to adding in more RAM but it's probably lower on the list of priorities at the mo. My render speeds are much faster - I'm rendering 1080p30 video approx. 1-to-1 now, but I get the feeling that my HDD might be my next bottleneck.

It's a Seagate Barracuda 1TB. I've never looked into SATA, RAID or read/write speeds before. I'm learning a whole lot in a short space of time. I'd like to eventually use a RAMdisk but I don't think I'm earning enough JUST yet :P

I'll get the full specs up, and maybe we can take a look and see how I can upgrade it further over the next few months :)

Ah, there's a name I remember! How have you been Mythos? I made the mistake of calling you Ivi for about a year and a half :D

So had everyone else. :)

I will definitely get around to adding in more RAM but it's probably lower on the list of priorities at the mo. My render speeds are much faster - I'm rendering 1080p30 video approx. 1-to-1 now, but I get the feeling that my HDD might be my next bottleneck.

It's a Seagate Barracuda 1TB. I've never looked into SATA, RAID or read/write speeds before. I'm learning a whole lot in a short space of time. I'd like to eventually use a RAMdisk but I don't think I'm earning enough JUST yet :P

I'll get the full specs up, and maybe we can take a look and see how I can upgrade it further over the next few months :)

Indeed haha, welcome back and with a powerful vengeance!

Yeah, RAM won't make as much of a difference that CPU will, I just remember when I used to encode a lot it'd load up all the available memory.

I'd look into getting a modest 240-256GB solid state drive and stick the Barracuda to storage only duty (that's what I did with my 1.5TB 'cuda)

Sounds good! Did you get the TX3 or the 212+ for the cooler?

I've been looking at SSD's, and I can get them cheap at the lower end of the spectrum. If I wanted something that was purely short-term storage for rendered videos, I can pick up a 64GB drive for around $45. I would much rather have a drive that I could use for the OS as well though. Gotta shave off those precious seconds. To get an idea of any potential bottleneck in the first place though, how would I go about testing that?

I have noticed that my CPU doesn't reach 100% utilisation during encoding... But I assume that's good news. I'd assume that 100% would indicate a CPU bottleneck. It does also make me wonder if that is indication of a deeper issue, too.

I went for the TX3 purely due to the size of my case - It's an ATX case, but a small one so space is very much limited. The 212 was a few mm taller than my case is deep with the side on. The TX3 keeps my CPU under 60 degrees C under load though, so it's doing fine at stock speeds. I would be wary of going into any OCing territory though.

Yeah that's not too bad then.

Even just for the sake of all the rest of your usage, solid states are worth it. Definitely don't buy a small one just for editing, get one that you can fit all your OS and programs/games on. Any reasonable user can get by comfortably on a 240-256GB drive. (which also happens to be the sweet spot in the market).

I still call him IVIY!  I do it out of fun because now it's a nickname. :)   Besides, IVIY is funner to type than Mythos.  :P

Gotta agree with him, go for a bigger SSD.   You will want your OS and frequently used programs on it.   Not to mention you always want to keep some space free on it.   I haven't done any video rendering in a couple years or more but the SSD really improved my rendering times.   It was pretty significant.   Obviously though, just use it to render your videos, not to store them or your save files.

Great looking build by the way, good luck on it!