ocz-700w-stealthxstream issue?

Hi all,

with my new pc I would like to change the power supply

Which one?

My vga will be a GTX 960 or R9 280X ( my new GTX760 was faulty!)

The shop attendant suggest me to buy an 850W power supply Coolermaster, is it too powerful for me or not?

Thanks

You don't need an 850W power supply unless you are considering running mutli-gpus in the future.

As for the actual choice of power supply, it would be helpful to know where you're buying from and what the selection consists of.

In your current situation I would choose quality over quantity.  If you're set on buying a CM power supply, there are some very good ones, and others that aren't so good.

The CM V-series units are an example of the former.  Enhance is the OEM and they build a fine power supply.  So if I were shopping I'd be looking for a Cooler Master V650 or V750 with the nod going to the V750.  Avoid the CM GX series at all cost.

The CM V-Series is likely priced in the same range as some other very good power supplies that you could choose from.  Focusing primarily on 650W variants I'd recommend looking at the EVGA and Seasonic offerings in that power capacity and seeing if the price is any better.

You don't need an 850W power supply unless you are considering running mutli-gpus in the future.

As for the actual choice of power supply, it would be helpful to know where you're buying from and what the selection consists of.

In your current situation I would choose quality over quantity.  If you're set on buying a CM power supply, there are some very good ones, and others that aren't so good.

The CM V-series units are an example of the former.  Enhance is the OEM and they build a fine power supply.  So if I were shopping I'd be looking for a Cooler Master V650 or V750 with the nod going to the V750.  Avoid the CM GX series at all cost.

The CM V-Series is likely priced in the same range as some other very good power supplies that you could choose from.  Focusing primarily on 650W variants I'd recommend looking at the EVGA and Seasonic offerings in that power capacity and seeing if the price is any better.

Some GX Series were made by Enhance as well according to this

I personally recommended a GX750 of some kind to my friend years ago and I believe it's still going strong.

As of 2010 the CM GX 650 and 750 variants were produced by OEM Sevenstream.  They may have changed to or from Enhance before or since though.

Hey, proof is in the pudding though.  If you recommended it and it's still running strong after all of these years they must have done something right.

As of 2010 the CM GX 650 and 750 variants were produced by OEM Sevenstream.  They may have changed to or from Enhance before or since though.

Hey, proof is in the pudding though.  If you recommended it and it's still running strong after all of these years they must have done something right.

Oh, yeah I don't know, I usually just consult that listing whenever I recommend PSUs because the label doesn't matter just the OEM. I didn't know Seventeam was bad, though. I'm still learning good OEMs (I know Superflower, Enhance, and Seasonic are good...I think FSP too)

Or was just lucky haha, I'll never know.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Sevenstream is bad, just that there are other "proven track record" OEMs out there that are making branded power supplies that are probably in the same price range.  All of the ones you listed are qualify as proven track record OEMs in my book.

Right or wrong I usually rank them like this;

Superflower

Seasonic

Enhance

:)