$500 Build For Parents.

GabrielT

So it is time to finally get my parents a PC. I have a hyper 212+ for cooling and other than that everything has to be bought for $500, NO CHEATING. Also sales don't really count as this wont be purchased for a couple weeks most likely. I need this simple because I really don't like driving to there place to fix stuff if it were to go wrong. 

AMD prefered because of good onboard graphic performance but if anyone can come up with an Intel build to rival it I would be interested. 

Requirements.

SSD atleast 250GB

Average or better modern CPU with good onboard graphics. 

Easy to clean, nice quiet case with filters. 

Cheap, $500 firm, less is better. 

No used parts, I have no problem with them personally but they want new stuff. Go figure. 

This is what I came up with. $487 before shipping.

All thoughts, opinions, and otherwise are appreciated. 

AmdBuild_zps26ed5135.png

Edited by GabrielTessin

Yeah! Minnesota, lets go catch some Northern!

Sometimes it's more important where you buy then the price. Look up the prices at NewEgg. Very good service.

What is it going to be used for?If e-mailing the grand kids or shopping, you can save getting a 2 core instead of 4, etc. Once again, it depends on usage, but 250GB isn't much. What are they into? Photosop, movies? Video needs a lot of storage. Put the money Where it will do the most good.

I'd go with a Dell or HP to be honest.  Woot has a good deal on an A8 right now.

Bah, pre-builts be damned, this is overclockers club! (THIS IS SPARTA!) Budget builds just don't seem worth it these days and a pre-built is extremely tempting. That HP is a refurb, no go unless I am looking at the wrong one.

They tend to keep there computers for a very long time. Long term upkeep is very important. There old DELL had 6 blown/leaked capacitors throughout and went through 2 motherboards in 9 years. 

Pros of Pre-Built

• Stupid Cheap
  • Lots of storage
  • Stability
  • STUPID CHEAP! If it breaks buy another one.
  • They blame the manufacture when it breaks down and not me :D

Cons of pre-built:

• No easy dust filter cleaning (dusty house with pets)
  • Upgrades are a pain and limited by case.
  • No SSD (they don't need much storage)
  • Proprietary MOBO, Heatsink, PSU (maybe)
  • Could be more expensive in long term with upgrades.

Pros of a Custom build

• Easy to clean
  • Good parts, exactly what I want to put in.
  • Long Term Stability
  • Overclocking
  • Easy Upgrades and Parts availability.
  • Fun to build, pride and glory. 

Cons of Custom Build

• Increased Cost
  • If it breaks I get blamed
  • Time consuming.

By the time I add a SSD and a decent PSU to accommodate the beefy graphics card they will probably want at some point I really don't see the savings, and god help me if it uses proprietary PSU cabling.

Another point is, if in the future something goes wrong and I need to through parts at it I don't want to be stuck buy used/re-furbished parts into an old rig. 

I'm going to toy with an Intel build quick. Maybe a Mini Itx for fun.

Do your parents really have a need for a beefy GPU?

A small SSD could easily be added to the system I linked.  The PSU is not proprietary - even Dell has moved away from such shenanigans.

Anyway - back to your questions - what are their primary uses?  Could they get away with an Intel NUC or something similar?

Do your parents really have a need for a beefy GPU?

A small SSD could easily be added to the system I linked.  The PSU is not proprietary - even Dell has moved away from such shenanigans.

Anyway - back to your questions - what are their primary uses?  Could they get away with an Intel NUC or something similar?

Ok, it's good that propritary PSU's are out. Adding an SSD wouldn't be any real problem, adding a GPU might be. A low power CPU is an option.

Beefy, not really. I was thinking GTX650 ish. 

They NEED dust filters, I suppose I could make some. I couldn't find anything stating what kind of capacitors that the HP is using. There rig will need solid capacitors, I'm not screwing around with electrolytic again. 

Mom. Daily use, games. She isn't a patient woman, she is also a power used in some regaurds. For being damn near 60 at least. My mom likes games from simple flash to fairly demanding titles. She isn't all about graphics but her needs change gaming wise. Now that I think of it I will certanly have to add a storage HDD at some point. For now they just need something. 

Dad, no idea. He is a weird guy. Games and surfing are not out of the question. PC racing games and some Flight Sim X, so not much from him.

The NUC seems like it would be a little under powered for them.

Good build Mythos, some of those prices are nuts. I knew I could count on you :D

Might have to go with at least some of those deals. I wasn't aware of that website even o.o

For fun I put together a budget Intel Build. $530 but it could be brought down slightly if I shop around. This one even gets a GTX 650 :D

PentiumBuild_zpsc1087a56.png

Edited by GabrielTessin

Just found this: http://www.pny.com/xlr8-ssd-240gb-16gb-ddr3-memory-kitwith 15% coupon code ( COMEBACK15 ) it comes to $127.49 for memory and SSD, can't beat that!

+ this intel rig by me: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f3vsxr

= more savings and better performance ;)

EDIT: Just noticed the 7850 was outta stock so if it doesn't come back in before ordering time, here's the build with a 260X instead, still a far better card than the GTX650 for cheaper! http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tyRnK8

Edited by IVIYTH0S
  • Like 1

Just found this: http://www.pny.com/xlr8-ssd-240gb-16gb-ddr3-memory-kitwith 15% coupon code ( COMEBACK15 ) it comes to $127.49 for memory and SSD, can't beat that!

+ this intel rig by me: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f3vsxr

= more savings and better performance ;)

Nice tip!

Flight sims with on 3 monitors is mind blowing. I know, I know-Budget.

Have to go dig around the closet for and have some fun.

Good hunting.

Edited by skoville