SSD data recovery?

scr4wl

Is it possible? Basically I have an apple ssd from a 2013 macbook that no longer mounts. I replaced the drive, but woulf like to get data off if possible (i dont think its possible, but thought id ask just in case). I dont have a mount for the ssd, but i have another macbook that i put the ssd in. I then target booted that macbook to the one that originally had the ssd, but can't see or mount the drive.

Am I SOL, or does anyone have any ideas?

I was able to image my sister's old old old macbook drive to another with the linux bootable suite provided by hiren tools 15.2, might be worth a shot if you have another drive that's its size or larger.

Unless you just want specific files I'd hook it up either through an enclosure or directly and access the files with this: http://www.catacombae.org/hfsexplorer/

As I'm assuming you're trying to access the drive on a windows computer?

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I guess the main issue here is that I don't have any kind of external mount for the drive. It's not just standard sata for whatever reason. The only mount I have for the SSD is a second MacBook, which I can target boot to the first one. (I've only tried recovering the data in OSX so far, I wasn't sure how volatile the data in these drives are, so I wasn't sure if it would be worth my time to try and mount it in a different os. I also don't know if I can target boot a mac to a different OS)

The problem though, is that when I target boot the computer I still can't see the drive at all, I think I will try to mount it to a windows machine though. That HFSExplorer looks promising.

Can you get a picture of it, what do you mean it's not standard sata, did apple go and make something else proprietary?!

But yeah, HFSExplorer worked great for me when I backed up her files before I did the image clone over...just as an added measure.

Yeah, I can put up a picture, don't expect it until tomorrow though. I get to spend hours on the phone with ATT today.

It looks almost like the OWC Aura SSD's, but the connector is a little bit fatter. I actually have some OWC mounts, just not for this particular one, I'm not sure if they even make a mount for it or not actually.

This is why I dislike "custom" or proprietary storage. When they start acting funky there's not much you can do...

Apple'd say "you should have just backed it up with ItunesTM, IcloudTM and TimemachineTM" :lol: fuckin' Apple

Guess I shouldn't laugh until the data is safe though! Goodluck Taco!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Next time you should get yourself an external hd that works with mac and pc and bu to that, too late now but will save you a lot of bullcrap  if it happens again. :yucky:

Or run a computer that runs SATA like a sane person, not a proprietary standard :yucky: . This can serve as either lesson, sorry to learn the hard way Taco :-/

http://www.memoryc.com/storageproducts/hddenclosures/runcore70mm50mmminipciessdto25sataiiconverteradapter.html<-- maybe something like this could work unless you already have such an adapter