Video Card strange behaviour

Fragsman

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

460gtx 1gb non-OC

Problem: Suposse I am watching a video. When I don't move the mouse for .. let's say 2 miutes. FPS drops a lot!!!!

It's like entering in power-saving mode or some strange thing but this is not a laptop.

I already performed System Restore to 5th February and I don't update drivers since like 6 months. So it's very weird. If I am active it performs perfectly (no drop in FPS)

Perhaps anyone know what the key is. thanks!

Proof in YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XUWHeJvl-4

EDIT: Format has solved the problem.

Edited by Fragsman

what CPU do you have?

also if it's doing this during idle maybe it's trying to defrag or install updates. The 3rd thing I can think of is if it's power saving mode the CPU isn't operating correctly but that's a long shot.

Hum.. I haven't tought of CPU..

I have an Intel i7 950. I usually use it on power saving mode.. but when it happened it was full capacity and that NEVER happened before. I use the power save since I bought the computer in 2010. This must be something else. I bet my @ss it's some windows update or something but I already restored system.

I would just update drivers and system . also use VLC player instead of WMP which sucks . than defrag and clean temp.

maybe that will clear it up . also sometime anti-virus likes to run when the computer is idle .. I would disable that too.

I will check for sure tomorow. I ADDED THE LINK TO THE VIDEO ABOVE IN YOUTUBE

If not moving mouse for 2 minutes GPU goes to 100% usage and FPS goes down like hell so GPU starts to heat.. I can't let AFK games.. I just discovered GPU was at 100%.. but low fps it's nonsense.

Edited by Fragsman

I'm beginning to think it's not a hardware problem.  Maybe there is something nefarious going on in your OS, one of your background services or applications?  

Have you tried a fresh install?

Ran any trojan, virus or malware scans lately?  Maybe someone has hacked your gpu and is using it for bitcoin mining?  :)

Yes for me it's the same.  A pure software problem. I have installed Windows in 2010 when I bought the PC. Maybe it's time for a fresh install after all :P

(Anyway I take care of my PC but a fresh install won't hurt and will solve the problem 100%)

Nothing as sweet as a fresh install of Windows   :)

Back in the 95 / 98 / 2000 and even XP - I always ended up doing a fresh install in less than a year anyway.  Come to think of it, my current installation of Windows 7 Pro is probably the longest I've had an OS running and not found or created a reason for a fresh installation.  I think I'm right a year now   :)

Strangely I've got this sudden urge to buy bigger SSDs and do a fresh install of Windows..........  oh snap   :)