GTX 770 vBios problems.

johnace01

Hello all, I got my Asus GTX 770 yesterday only to run into some problems when playing Assassins Creed 4 (the game that came with it) it crashes my whole computer at seemingly completely random points. After doing a Google search I have come to the conclusion that it is the bios on the card. There is a newer one from the Asus website that I downloaded and tried to flashing but I just get an error reading 'Error This patch does not support this card' even though I downloaded it for the GTX 770 from the Asus website. Any suggestions?

Cheers guys!

post-71933-0-07446300-1392328650_thumb.png

Edited by johnace01

Did you get it for your exact model? Many companies make different versions of the card, even though the chipset is the same.

Yeah I did, I also downloaded one from Techpowerup but that is some kind of proper bios file rather than a simple .exe that does it all its self, having never flashed a vBios before I would rather let it do it for me.

Ok so as far as I can tell the problem is solved, the latest Beta drivers from the Nvidia website seemed to solve the problem, which is odd because other people seem to have this problem with their Asus 770's and solve it by flashing the latest bios. I tried the drivers on the Asus website and the latest proper release ones and had the problem but the beta ones work. Hopefully this is a fix not just some massive coincidence. Only time will tell.

Cheers people! 

Hey John.  Usually I recommend grabbing gpu drivers directly from nVidia or AMD.  Sometimes the motherboard mfg. driver store isn't as up to date.

And flashing a gpu BIOS in DOS isn't as hard as it might sound or seem  :)

Hey John.  Usually I recommend grabbing gpu drivers directly from nVidia or AMD.  Sometimes the motherboard mfg. driver store isn't as up to date.

And flashing a gpu BIOS in DOS isn't as hard as it might sound or seem   :)

Yeah I always use the latest driver directly from nVidia or AMD, just for some reason the non beta one was causing problems.

Do you mean DOS or CMD? I have experience with DOS from way back when so it would be something I could probably do. Sadly none of this explains why the bios I downloaded from Asus didn't work.

It seems to be all sorted (for now) but cheers anyways! 

All of the major card vendors offer a flash utility that you can drop onto a flash drive along with the vbios file.  Then you flash pre-windows boot.  There are methods for flashing in the Windows environment, but I try to avoid those  :)