Limit Folding based on outdoor temperatures

bandwith

Thought I'd share this... Goal is to monitor the outdoor temps at the regional airport and start/stop folding accordingly. I don't wish to generate more heat than I need.

Only run it once per hour to get the latest published weather updates. METAR reports are only updated once per hour.

https://github.com/bandwith/limit_folding

To keep the FX-8350 from crashing the mATX mobo, I've also found this useful -> https://github.com/Sepero/temp-throttle

I've done it in the past manually... I wanted to automate it for other reasons.

I also watch for other high-cpu processes like HandBrakeCLI, ghb, ffmpeg, etc... and stop folding while those are running.

I tend to do this already. During the hottest months, I don't fold on the GPU and sometimes I even stop the CPU client.

Good...can't wait till summer :ph34r:

Actually, I'll have my GTX 770 in a few weeks. One of those should produce around ~90k PPD.

Edited by Hyper Threaded

I tend to do this already. During the hottest months, I don't fold on the GPU and sometimes I even stop the CPU client.

Do you have an automated method for this? 

Good...can't wait till summer :ph34r:

Actually, I'll have my GTX 770 in a few weeks. One of those should produce around ~90k PPD.

My 4930K at around stock + two GTX 770s under Windows 8.1 gets me ~208K PPD with old drivers, but using the new "game ready" ones no where near that maybe 40K ppd on a single GTX 770 using the 331 series.

You guys get to beat me up atm due to the unexpected puppy bills.  I need to shave money off the power bill etc so folding had to go on a break on the power hungry rig for now.