AMD 8 Core Build. Need CPU Advice Please.

I have a few parts laying around and have decided to build an 8 core amd setup for doing some video encoding. It will have 8GB DDR3 1600, a 120GB Intel SSD, 1000W CoolerMaster PSU, and a 970 Asus motherboard. Not looking to break the bank or go to intel. Been using an i7 for a while now, and want to try something different. My question is this.. Im debating betweem the 8350 or the 9370. I wont be overclocking this build at all, and wont be gaming at all on it either. I was leaning more towards just getting the 8350 considering I dont really need the watercooling or the hotter cpu in my case (9370). Which cpu would you suggest?

I would get the 8320, most will overclock to 4.5-4.8ghz with a good air CPU cooler. 

Chances are on air you will be heat limited anyways, I have my wife's 8320 running at 4.6ghz with the old Cooler Master 212+. It's stable as all get out too. 

8350's do tend to overclock higher on less volts so you may be able to get close to 5ghz with relatively low volts if you get an extremely good chip but it's pretty rare. Chances are with a D14 or similar monster air cooler you could expect to hit 4.8ghz but again there are no guaranty's. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873    I believe it should take the chip, but for the extra 90 dollars and extra heat im not sure if it would be worth it.

That MoBo is only rated for 140watt cpus. I believe only the 990FX boards can handle and not all of them can handle a 9370 or greater. The 9XXX series usually require atleast a nice closed loop liquid cooler or a custom loop to get any real overclocking headroom. I'm not saying you couldn't run on air but if you did I can't see you getting much more than stock clocks out of it for twice the money of an 83XX series. 

So unless you do decided to go with water cooling I think the 8320/8350 is the better option. 

Edited by GabrielTessin

You might want to rethink your mother board choice. 970 boards don't always have enough power phase to support 8 core FX cpus. Even at stock the 8 core FX's are hot and are power hungry.

If you want to keep it cheap I would go with a Gigabyte UD3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

I have been building with the UD3 series for awhile and have never been disappointed. My wife has the old version of that board paired with her 8320. Not the most in depth BIOS but more than enough options for overclocking. 

I would like to keep the budget a little lower if possible, but what would be a good board for either of those chips? you mentioned a 990. is there a good brand preference to go with?

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z, GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 and ASRock 990FX Extreme9 

Those are the only three I know of currently that will support the 9370.  Of the three I personally have had excellent luck with gigabyte boards. 

This may be the voice of ignorance.

My understanding is AMD determines these chips by binning. IE , A 9370 is guaranteed to reach this clock at standard voltage, the 8350 this, the 8320 that.

What they will do outside of testing is luck of the draw. As is headroom with voltage increases.

There is reason to believe better binned chips are sold to some extent as "lesser" to meet supply needs.

If you are not overclocking, buy the GHz you'll likely be happy with. That way you'll know the performance you will get.

The biggest reason to go AMD is to overclock.

Of the three, the 8350 probably meets your needs in a price/performance  form.

Generally 8320s, overclocked seem as likely to reach high overclocks as the others, on the right settings,  board, and cooling. Though it will take time, work, and power.

Usually you can bump the 8350 a little without raising voltage, which would be your best bet, and seems what you should want.

Edited by ohldboy

If you want to keep it cheap I would go with a Gigabyte UD3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

I have been building with the UD3 series for awhile and have never been disappointed. My wife has the old version of that board paired with her 8320. Not the most in depth BIOS but more than enough options for overclocking. 

I would like to keep the budget a little lower if possible, but what would be a good board for either of those chips? you mentioned a 990. is there a good brand preference to go with?

Those are the only three I know of currently that will support the 9370.  Of the three I personally have had excellent luck with gigabyte boards. 

I am running that board. Works good. Overclocked my 6300 right to 4.7Ghz.

I am running that board. Works good. Overclocked my 6300 right to 4.7Ghz.

UD3's are awesome, I bet I could get the wife's proc to 4.7 on it too.