XSPC RayStorm Kits, Worth my time?

m2geek

Hey guys!

I'm about to build a new rig, and not upgrading CPU and Mobo, and Selling my old GPU has left me some extra dough to play around with - YAY!

To that I'm thinking about getting one of these http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=20502 - My only previous water cooling experience is with Closed Loop/AIO systems. 

I was just going to use my beautiful Prolimatech Megahalems Black in Push/Pull with a pair of nice 140mm fans, but a Custom Loop with pretty coloured fluid running through it to match my ideal colour theme (Black NZXT Source 530 + Purple LED fan on the chassis, and Green LED fans on the cooler) is a temptation almost too hard to resist!

I've watched several Videos on Installing loops and it looks fairly straight forward, and I already know I will be upgrading my Spikes for ones with the clampy thingys for a extra secure system, and likely a different CPU block as the one that comes with that kit has blue LEDs which will NOT do in my ego-stroking colour theme :P

So - any tips, ideas, comments, advice, voodoo spells to make sure it doesn't burst in my face and spew fluid like something from the Exorcist (hehe)

Thanks in Advance :)

yeah do a leak test by jumping the psu instead of powering it normally . that way if something leaks you won't ruin everything .

second, I usally say unless you cooling a video card or two a custom loop isn't worth the money since it's about $300 starting price and you can get nearly the same temps with a 240mm closed loop like a corsair h100i which is $100. Of course a custom loop is going to be better , but $200 more ? I don't think so .

yeah do a leak test by jumping the psu instead of powering it normally . that way if something leaks you won't ruin everything .

second, I usally say unless you cooling a video card or two a custom loop isn't worth the money since it's about $300 starting price and you can get nearly the same temps with a 240mm closed loop like a corsair h100i which is $100. Of course a custom loop is going to be better , but $200 more ? I don't think so .

I'll likely look at water cooling my GTX 780 once its out of Warranty. 

Otherwise I'd look at a NZXT Kraken X60 - being able to change the colour of the NZXT logo on the pump is something that tickles me right. the H100i doesnt' do that does it? Plus the X60 uses 140mm, altho, Corsair have the H110...

Edit: Looked it up and you Can change the colours of the H100i's pump LEDs - Hmmmmmm...

Also, will the Source 530 fit the cooler in with 4 fans do you think?

Edited by m2geek

If you buy that kit but plan on swapping things like the CPU block first thing...just don't bother with the kit.  The only reason to get it is you have everything required to get you going in one box, otherwise it's the same do it yourself experience you would get with buying the same parts separately.  If you are changing things so soon I would swap tubing as well, from what I've heard it's a clear with a slightly yellowed tint that come with it. The LEDs are optional on the block it ships with btw.

Oh and another note the LED color on the H100i can be changed. This guy may have the camera skills of a 13yr old girl but it's easier than installing the software for mine and making one myself :)

• Like 1

If you buy that kit but plan on swapping things like the CPU block first thing...just don't bother with the kit.  The only reason to get it is you have everything required to get you going in one box, otherwise it's the same do it yourself experience you would get with buying the same parts separately.  If you are changing things so soon I would swap tubing as well, from what I've heard it's a clear with a slightly yellowed tint that come with it. The LEDs are optional on the block it ships with btw.

Oh and another note the LED color on the H100i can be changed. This guy may have the camera skills of a 13yr old girl but it's easier than installing the software for mine and making one myself :)

I looked into the block of the kit n everything, the LEDs and things are changeable so i'm get the kit :D

Look forward to putting pics of everything up on here once everything arrives and I build

Number one rule for first time custom loop is patience.  Remember that and chances are everything will go smoothly.  Be sure to double check every fitting before you fill with water (even ones that were installed by the parts manufacturers) Don't be afraid to ask questions, it seems like OCC has had a huge drop off in custom water cooling in recent years but many people like myself ran under water back in the 2000s and while the mounting brackets have improved, and things are much less DIY than back then a lot of the same questions and answers will still apply.  I've been toying with the idea of a custom loop for fun but if I do it I'll prob go all out crazy like last time and that gets real expensive real fast (Yes I even water cooled my 680i SLI board's northbridge chipset because why not) 

So with that said, enjoy it because even if you only improve temps a few degrees, it still feels awesome when YOU put it all together and can customize to your tastes.

The Raystorm EX360 is a great kit and that is a reasonable price.  If you want to go that route I wouldn't hesitate.  And you don't need to change out the block.  I'm using the same Raystorm block in my custom loop and it works just fine considering the price point.

Also, will the Source 530 fit the cooler in with 4 fans do you think?

If you asking about push/pull configuration, no you need a thin radiator for the top or give up the front bays for any radiators in the front (thin, thick, push/pull, etc) http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nzxt_source_530_case/4.htm

you have 2 inch (50mm) of clearance on top and you give up one 5.25" bay with a triple rad. I would double check the height with fans for that raystorm kit. usually thins rad about about 25-30mm which leaves 20-25mm for the fan height. You can find 25mm easy, but 20mm is a bit of a pain to find.

edit: i guess you have more space because the rad mounts in the middle but it could possibly hit the ram or motherboard vrm heatsinks. If I remember correctly, I had plenty of clearance with the 100i. I think the reason I didn't take a picture of a 360mm on top is because I have a thick 50mm one and I didn't have the time to install it. Not 100% sure anymore.

is that a mixture of water and that fluid stuff you can buy that suppose to be better than water? BTW it isn't any better, you can't beat distilled water.

I would say having it different density will create a flow problem but I don't know for sure.

edit: "The best type of reservoir is a tube reservoir, as the pearl cannot lay anywhere and is in constant movement. Bay reservoirs with good flow throughout the reservoir are also recommended. Injection moulded plastics may have a problem, however this has not been confirmed."

so it is a different fluid mixed with water....eh I don't want to think what is does when it settles.

is that a mixture of water and that fluid stuff you can buy that suppose to be better than water? BTW it isn't any better, you can't beat distilled water.

I would say having it different density will create a flow problem but I don't know for sure.

edit: "The best type of reservoir is a tube reservoir, as the pearl cannot lay anywhere and is in constant movement. Bay reservoirs with good flow throughout the reservoir are also recommended. Injection moulded plastics may have a problem, however this has not been confirmed."

so it is a different fluid mixed with water....eh I don't want to think what is does when it settles.

I looked into it - and that coolant fluid is a "short term" (less than a few months sometimes even less than 24 hours!) as its for pure eyecandy for photo shoots/lans/showing off...

So what I'm going to do, is get a nice premix White, and colour it with dye, or maybe even just go clear+dye.

I'm SO excited if you can't tell - like SQUEEEE kind of excited!

I bought that same kit to go with a new 4670K and MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, Then I got sick in December and it's all been sitting on the shelf since then. :doh:

I'm considering putting it together soon,........and I think it will be great compared to my Air Coolers and my AIOs too.

I'm also thinking of getting that new water cooled VisionTek CryoVenom R9 290 since it's going to be sold for $550.00 on their site. Such a good price for it compared to others.

Edited by RealNeil