need suggestions on upgrading current rig

maverick198444

Primary reason for upgrade?  I ask, because if you use the PC primarily for gaming your best upgrade would be to keep your current motherboard and processor and invest money in a much better graphics card and upgrade to an SSD for Windows and your most used apps and games.

You don't mention it, but if you don't currently have an aftermarket cpu cooler, and you're not currently overclocking - there is plenty of performance to be squeezed out of the platform you have right now.  Just adding a high end video card and slapping in a SSD would make your jaw drop.

Agreed.  920's are beasts and have amazing performance potential with an overclock.  Your PSU is top quality as well, so it would handle this overclock and GPU upgrade nicely.  30 dollar cooler for overclocking and a video card upgrade with an SSD would be well within your budget and give you an amazing performance increase.  Judging by your monitor, I'm assuming you are gaming at 1920x1080.  At that resolution you wouldn't need to spend an arm and a leg on a video card either.   :no:

i agree  with you guys what i forgot to mention was that i had had a corsair H80 cooler that leaked a few months back and blew my processor, motherboard and graphics card. So as compensation i am getting a new H80i and 600$ from corsair.Hence the need to upgrade .As u can see the last time i upgraded there used to be triple channel motherboards and now there are dual channel motherboards. I am thinking across the lines of maybe an intel i5 4670k and an

nvidia 650 TI OC  but i am really confused about the motherboard because i ran my 6gb ram @ 1600mhz on triple channel but they don't make em anymore.So really the confusion is regarding the motherboard or maybe a better combo for the three components if you have in mind!! 

Here is how I'd spend my $650 bucks - now keep in mind that the total is just a bit over $650 ($674.92 to be exact) but the video card comes with a game bundle that you might be able to sell, and you can also sell your existing memory kit.  Between the two you should easily make up the differenct.

Motherboard

Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138380

$139.99 w/free shipping

CPU

Intel i5 4670K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899

$224.95 w/free shipping

Memory

Team Vulcan 8Gb DDR3 2400Mhz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313399

$69.99 w/free shipping

Video Card

Gigabyte GTX 760

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125466

$239.99 w/free shipping

Now I know that a lot of folks might question the memory selection, but you need to snag this up quick because it has got to be a pricing error.  Finding 8Gb of DDR3 2400Mhz memory for $69.99 is truly stealing it.  The latency is high at default speed, but in my experience Team memory is very flexible, and if you don't want to run DDR3 2400Mhz you can lower the frequency, tighten the timings and likely be able to use lower dram voltage as well.  For example this particular memory kit would likely run DDR3 2133Mhz speeds with timings of 10-12-12-30/31 at 1.60v.  Or you could probably run it at DDR3 1866 speeds with timings of 9-11-11-27 @ 1.60v or less.  

wev I like everything there but he could go Z77 and get a 3770K and get improved performance over the 920 but will loose HT on the 4670 so may feel that impact in performance.  

You won't get any argument from me there.  But seems like every time I point someone towards socket 1155 I get a tidal wave of negative feedback such as "why aren't you recommending the latest technology" bla-bla-bla......

Doesn't happen so much here, but the amount of that crap I get at another forum I frequent would blow your mind.

I mean, if it were me I'd be perfectly happy with a good Z77 board and 3770K (hey in fact I am)  :)

hey guys thanks for the feedback i got my replacement H80i from corsair now awaiting the check to arrive.I have to admit i was totally blindsided by the lack of hyperthreading in the new i5's doesn't make sense. I compared the spec sheet

http://ark.intel.com/compare/75123,75122,75048,75047 and now one thing is for sure that i need an unlocked 4670k or 4770k proccessor. But besides gaming i also run simulation softwares which might be affected by lack of hyperthreading in the i5 . Let's see might have to wipe the dust out of that old visa card  :no: .

i agree  with you guys what i forgot to mention was that i had had a corsair H80 cooler that leaked a few months back and blew my processor, motherboard and graphics card. So as compensation i am getting a new H80i and 600$ from corsair.Hence the need to upgrade .As u can see the last time i upgraded there used to be triple channel motherboards and now there are dual channel motherboards. I am thinking across the lines of maybe an intel i5 4670k and an

nvidia 650 TI OC  but i am really confused about the motherboard because i ran my 6gb ram @ 1600mhz on triple channel but they don't make em anymore.So really the confusion is regarding the motherboard or maybe a better combo for the three components if you have in mind!! 

Oh wow they are going to pay for it. That's good service right there. Thumbs up for Corsair!