SPDIF or HDMI for sound?

yiotta

Several questions for you guys, which provides better sound?
SPDIF or HDMI?
Not a hi fidelity system just running from my PC to my Vizio 47" TV/Monitor.
I have a Gigabyte mobo and a Sapphire HD7870 Video Card.
I can't get the HDMI to deliver sound to the monitor, so I plugged in an SPDIF cable and also can't get sound.
Plugging into the speaker jack with a normal green plug to a small set of Logitech speakers works, but I don't want those speakers on my desk, I want the audio to come from the Vizio.
Just updated Realtek drivers, when looking in Realtek HD Audio Manager it shows Realtek Digital Output (Optical) as default.
When looking in windows 7, control panel, sound, manage sound, it also shows Digital Output (Optical) as default.
It shows HDMI digital out, but it is greyed out with byline stating "not connected"... well it is connected and I can't seem to figure out how to get either to carry the audio to the monitor...
All the volumes are up, and when playing music it shows shows the meter moving indicating it is playing. (and yes, the volume is up on the TV). None of the sound tests will play sounds on the TV either.

Any suggestions?

Try reinstalling your graphics drivers. The necessary drivers to make HDMI audio work are in there. So uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your GPU.

You can use either HDMI or SPDIF and it really just depends on what receiver you have granted if you want more than 2ch of audio you would want HDMI as it can carry far more information. As to the overall quality there shouldn't be any difference with them both properly set up and feeding the same receiver/amp set up.

after many hours wasted today trying to find an answer I just started browsing my system and found a fix I didn't see an any other forum:
I went into devices and right clicked on the greyed out HDMI high definition audio,
selected Properties,
under Controller Information I clicked the Properties button,
Under the drivers tab I selected update driver,
It found the driver and loaded up with perfect audio.
A bit far down the chain, but it is working!

As I said before unless you heave ears from God, I doubt you can tell that much of a major difference. But personally I just went from coax to HD audio and can tell a major difference, Might I recomen you give logitech z506 speakers a go? :)

If your receiver can take in HDMI for video/audio, then use that. Save yourself from running two cables. Glad you got it working.

General steps for anyone who has the same problems:

1) Update Drivers

2) Select proper playback device on PC

3) Select proper input on receiver