Help with Custom Loop

Yes, the H100i is an amazing cooling system, but I think I want to get started building my own custom loops. I think I could get a much higher clock rate out of my new Haswell processor. I also want to start making my own custom loops so I have the knowledge and experience. Anyway, I pretty much got what red said with the cooler master excalibur fans. The total came out to be about $825 including shipping. Thanks again for all your guys help.

-trixter108

Yes, the H100i is an amazing cooling system, but I think I want to get started building my own custom loops. I think I could get a much higher clock rate out of my new Haswell processor. I also want to start making my own custom loops so I have the knowledge and experience. Anyway, I pretty much got what red said with the cooler master excalibur fans. The total came out to be about $825 including shipping. Thanks again for all your guys help.

-trixter108

Good idea, Haswell runs crazy hot - get the best cooling you can afford.

Water doesn't help much with Haswell unless you fix the TIM under the IHS...

If you decide to delid and replace the TIM. Here is a very good instructional. 

Three things to remember...

1) take your time

2) take your time

3) take your time

Here is a Club that has put together a comprehensive and extensive index of info on delidding the Haswell/Ivy's. I have delidded three 3770K's as well so if you decide you wish to replace the Thermal compound under the IHS , this is a great resource all assembled in one place. 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-club

You should read through all the info on the opening page of the thread. The 4770 is laid out a bit differently under the IHS than is the 3770. also the section on the gap between the IHS and the die.

Which method did you use? Hammer and vise or razor blade?

Razor blade. 

I have not seen enough results or possible effects of the pressure of the vice & hammer method to have the balls yet (especially when its  customers CPU)  

Sure looks like it works nice though, and limits the possability of damage to the off die diodes etc.