Simple mod for the Carbide 200R

Hello OCC.

Firstly I want to recommend this case because it was really cheap, and has great features. Really surprised with quality of the case.

Now, I want to address some of the flaws of the case by modding it. Not really fit to call it a mod, but could be if done right and cleanly?!

Flaw #1, for those who aren't looking to put 2 top exhaust fans on the case, these holes are a problem. Dust can settle in when the computer is off, other crumbs can fall in, causes more noise outside the case, and last but not least, some of the intake airflow escapes through these holes before it even reaches the extent of the rear exhaust fan.

To solve this problem I want to just put some kind of material to block the top of the case. Sheet metal would be the best, but that might be too costly?? I want ideas on what material to put here. 

Bonus if the material can be painted, easily drilled according to the fan holes, and CHEAP. (AKA, cheaper than putting 2 140mm fans on)

I was going to write flaw #2 here but seems pointless since it seems too hard for me to do anyways. :P

Edited by nickk47

Actually after a bit of thought, maybe the fan holes should not be covered as heat rises? I don't know...I want to try and cover it up and compare temps! I\ll cut out a piece of cardboard to test it...that'll be the easiest

Just put a cover over the to two fan slots.

Even a piece of cloth will do.

But if you don't have good exhaust fan at the back, covering up the top opening could result in overheating in the chassis.

Nevermind. I am using the top vents as the exhaust. I'm putting one fan at the bottom as an intake, and my new H60 cooler will be an intake from the rear, and I have one intake in the front. Positive air pressure PLUS the natural flow of hot air will hopefully draw hot air out the top. I'll watch the motherboard temps to see if it requires an exhaust at the top as well. But I don't think it will be necessary.