single 5770 works better than xfire 5770

acpowell

Ladies and Gents,

I am trying to get my dual 5770 cards working and although they work I get way more performace out of them if I use 1 card at a time rather than using xfire.  I did some research and came to the conclusion that I might need a bigger PSU for runing xfire.

So here I am asking for others thoughts on the matter.  The main issue is FPS is sugnifficatly reduced with Xfire and I get a ton of flickering especially with white graphics (logos) and lighting effects.

I am using an OCZ 600W Stealth Xtream and 2 1GB 5770 cards.  Main card is XFX 2nd is HIS (it was given to me for free which is why it doesn't match the maincard).

I also have 5 harddrives, a DVD drive, and a vasat array of fans.

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be 3 different issues:

1. The card

2. The PCIE slot

3. Drivers

Easiest thing is to test the 2nd card on the 1st card's PCIE slot. If it's good, then you know the card is good. If it's not, then you know the card is bad.

If the card is good, then test either card on the 2nd card's original PCIE slot. If it's good, then the PCIE slot is good. If it's not, then you know the motherboard's PCIE slot is bad.

If they're both good, then it's a driver issue.

From what you're describing, it sounds like a driver issue. If it is, AMD now has their own AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

1. The card

2. The PCIE slot

3. Drivers

Easiest thing is to test the 2nd card on the 1st card's PCIE slot. If it's good, then you know the card is good. If it's not, then you know the card is bad.

If the card is good, then test either card on the 2nd card's original PCIE slot. If it's good, then the PCIE slot is good. If it's not, then you know the motherboard's PCIE slot is bad.

From what you're describing, it sounds like a driver issue. If it is, AMD now has their own AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

i am using the newest and tried beta too.  i cant uninstall all of it casuse my machine will not boot cause it is an amd board.

1. The card

2. The PCIE slot

3. Drivers

i am using the newest and tried beta too.  i cant uninstall all of it casuse my machine will not boot cause it is an amd board.

Uninstalling the graphics drivers doesn't uninstall your motherboard's AMD chipset drivers.

okay I changed the cards arround made the HIS the main card and changed the slots and I get the same results.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers about 8 times this week so I am pretty sure that isn't the issue.

is there anyway to test and see if xfire is working properly?  Also I will try and test the pci slot although my mother board is one that needs this silly card in the other slot when 2 cards aren't in use or it bumps the slot down to x8 slot.  Not sure if you all know what I mean.

okay I changed the cards arround made the HIS the main card and changed the slots and I get the same results.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers about 8 times this week so I am pretty sure that isn't the issue.

is there anyway to test and see if xfire is working properly?  Also I will try and test the pci slot although my mother board is one that needs this silly card in the other slot when 2 cards aren't in use or it bumps the slot down to x8 slot.  Not sure if you all know what I mean.

You need to test each card individually first. Swapping the cards around doesn't really make ANY difference if it's the same result, because it can still be a bad card or a bad PCIE slot.

Once you know each card is working 100%, and that each PCIE slot is working 100%, then you can attribute it to wither the Crossfire connector, or the drivers (in which you repeatedly won't listen. If you don't uninstall drivers properly, it doesn't matter how many times you do it, you're still doing it wrong each time).

I had 2 xfx 5770's in xfire...I got a 30fps increase when I added the 2nd card with higher AA and vSync..and 40+fps increase when I overclocked them to 950mhz...

So something is definately wrong...I word say driver...I had a 20fps drop after I updated the driver once..so try different versions..

Edited by Il_napoletano

EuroFight: I am not sure what you mean. I have xfire enabled but I don't have it setup up for a specific game. Maybe I am doing it wrong. Not sure. I guess I didn't realize you had to set up xfire for every game, assuming I am understanding you correctly.

EL_cap: I don't appreciate being treated like child. Yes I have used the damn AMD catalyst uninstaller all 8 times I tried different driver versions, I also said I was going to test the PCI slot which would mean I would have to take a card out. So now that you have treated me like a child I will take my question to some other place where I might not get treated like I have no clue what I am doing. Thanks for ruining the experience for me.