Considering downsizing to Mini ITX

Springbok82

Hi all,

I'm considering downsizing from the X58 system to one of the tasty little Mini ITX Z77 builds. I don't even use half of the features on my current board, am not considering going SLI in the near future and newer tech is never a bad thing. My current rig's highest function is gaming and everything lower like watching movies (bluray quality, due to monitor size), browsing the internet, music etc.

My main reason for this line of thinking is I'm all for downsizing, streamlining, powersaving, newer tech (SATA 3, USB 3 blah blah). I reckon after I've sold all my stuff (mobo, psu, memory, case, cpu) I can pick up everything I need with the money I make back (sort of) and transfer the GTX680, SSD's, HDD and H80 to the new build without losing much cash, so there shouldn't be a problem. This, and the fact that I find the latest Mini-ITX boards and the Bitfenix builds quite intruiging.

My main concern is losing performance when swapping to Mini-ITX. Do you guys think this something I should think long and hard about? My current rig kills nearly everything I throw at it and this is something I don't want to lose out on.

The build I am considering:

Bitfenix Prodigy (I'm quite fixated on this one and don't mind the size)

Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe

Core i5 3570k or I7 3770k whichever you guys recommend (overclocking it reasonably high, no broken records though)

H80 (got it) or H100 (recommendations welcome)

EVGA GTX680 SC (got it)

Crucial M4 128gb (Windows) and 256gb (Games) (got 'em anyway)

Samsung Spinpoint F3 (got it)

Memory: Possibly 16gb RipJaws

PSU: Suggestions please!

As mentioned before, based on the above info, and considering I have a U2711 monitor to power, do you guys think I will see a drop in performance overall if I make the move to mini-ITX Z77? This machines highest function will also be a gaming machine.

Thanks!

"My main concern is losing performance when swapping to Mini-ITX. Do you guys think this something I should think long and hard about? My current rig kills nearly everything I throw at it and this is something I don't want to lose out on."

My lan rig is a mini ITX system, think its #4 in my sig and runs everything i can throw at it.   Really the only thing it going to come down to is if it has enough sata ports or usb ports on the MB for you.    You also need to read up on boards as not all of them will overclock.   I picked up a asrock z77 board and have had no problems with it at all and overclocks very nicely.

I'm building a white Bitfenix Prodigy as we speak (for the last month, slowly), with an i5 3570K on an ASRock Z77e-itx board. Either the H8 or H100 will work fine for it, though all the holes may not line up with the H100i (from what I've been told). I'm going full customer watercooling on it using just a 240mm rad, including a GTX 680 (watercooled), so it will be plenty silent.

I'll show picks once it's fully up (probably another week or two as the final parts arrive). It should get to 4.7GHz without any issues. Just note that the bigger PSU you put in it, the more it will jut out.

i've had some really fun builds in mini-itx (next time i build one it'll be lga1155/z77),..like the guys above basically said already,...do a good job of shopping out the features you want before you buy and you'll be just fine...and that does look like a really nice case !

Thanks for the replies, all sounds so positive!

My lan rig is a mini ITX system, think its #4 in my sig and runs everything i can throw at it.   Really the only thing it going to come down to is if it has enough sata ports or usb ports on the MB for you.    You also need to read up on boards as not all of them will overclock.   I picked up a asrock z77 board and have had no problems with it at all and overclocks very nicely.

As I'm not into collecting HDDs, I think those sata ports will be enough. The crucials will go on the sata 3 ports and the hdd on the sata 2. I also see a lot of good feedback regarding the ASrock z77, I'm going to look into that one, cheers! May I ask why you both have chosen the ASrock over the Asus?

I'm building a white Bitfenix Prodigy as we speak (for the last month, slowly), with an i5 3570K on an ASRock Z77e-itx board. Either the H8 or H100 will work fine for it, though all the holes may not line up with the H100i (from what I've been told). I'm going full customer watercooling on it using just a 240mm rad, including a GTX 680 (watercooled), so it will be plenty silent.

I'll show picks once it's fully up (probably another week or two as the final parts arrive). It should get to 4.7GHz without any issues. Just note that the bigger PSU you put in it, the more it will jut out.

Ah, the white Prodigy! I looked into the white vs black thing: white looks nicer and avoids dust rings. I wonder what the difference is in the cooling as the air gets sucked in around the sides of the front panel. Either way, it looks really nice! Also thinking of ripping off the cooler on the GTX680, slamming a waterblock on it and just WCing the whole thing with 2 rads. I guess there's time for that later with a bit more saved. And the PSU, I'm not going to keep the 1000w obviously, but will find an alternative that fits well. Any recommendations on this one?

Keep us posted on those pics, I will definitely upload mine if I go ahead with the build (which seems like it may well happen).

Edited by Springbok82

Ah, the white Prodigy! I looked into the white vs black thing: white looks nicer and avoids dust rings. I wonder what the difference is in the cooling as the air gets sucked in around the sides of the front panel. Either way, it looks really nice! Also thinking of ripping off the cooler on the GTX680, slamming a waterblock on it and just WCing the whole thing with 2 rads. I guess there's time for that later with a bit more saved. And the PSU, I'm not going to keep the 1000w obviously, but will find an alternative that fits well. Any recommendations on this one?

Keep us posted on those pics, I will definitely upload mine if I go ahead with the build (which seems like it may well happen).

Yeah, I've been getting into white-themed cases lately. I put a front 200mm fan on it. It should suck in a decent amount of air. The only problem with putting a waterblock on a graphics card in a Prodigy is you need to have small form 90 degree fittings (or in my case, compression fittings). I'm using a Sparkle 750W Gold PSU, sticks out about 2 inches on the back. It's no biggie, no one cares about how the back looks. - it's not a hot girl or anything.

at the time i bout my asrock board it had better reviews and was and still is cheaper then the asus board.    the hole setup use to be on the lian li spider case, looked really awsome when it stood there at a party but a b1tch to throw in a car and drive with,  plus the case was not ment to support the added weight of the watercooling. 

3bc5f8c0.jpg

Old core 2 duo board used for mock up.

D98940AA-0DFB-47B3-AAA7-A9611458298D-701

Do you think one thick 240 rad will do the trick for full WC? I mean for cpu and GPU together? Which fans would you recommend for quiet performance. I'm also looking at the Phobya DC12-220 and EK Res combo DCP 2.2 bundle. Nice, cheap and easy to work with.

• 2 weeks later...

As I said earlier we are doing the ITX build for the show, I have a thread here on the forums to discuss it as we go through in fact. I was like you, my primary system was an X79 based brute in a full tower case. It was an awesome system no doubt but it made me use an extra 4 foot table to have a place for the case. The case was to big to fit under the desk without being kicked and putting it beside the desk was an issue due to my home and desk layouts. Since doing this series my system has moved to an ITX build using a Z77 based board and I dropped from my i7 3820 to an i5 3550 which I have overclocked to 3.9 GHz. I have noticed zero lose in my gaming experience with the move but my system is not the size of a large boot box, uses a shelf on the desk rather than needing an entire table and is silent.

Enjoy the move to ITX and please join us at the other thread to discuss your experiences.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=195664