Noob looking for advice on overclocking my i5

Helmholtz

Hey guys, I'm looking to overclock my i5 750 from 2.67 ghz to 3.6 ghz. I have tried doing this by following guides, and while they have worked, I've had problems with programs/games crashing and blue screens, and I don't know which settings are causing the problems. I was wondering if someone could look at my settings and tell me where the problem might be, I think my voltages are probably not right and possibly my memory settings, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to figure this out. 

My hardware:

gigabyte p55ud4p motherboard

i5 750 LGA1156 

G.SKILL F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH Ripjaws PC3-16000 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-2000 CL9-9-9-27 Core I5 Memory Kit

My settings:

CPU Clock Ratio: 20x

QPI Clock Ratio: x32

BCLK Frequency: 180

System Memory Multiplier: x6

Load-Line Calibration: Enabled

CPU Vcore: 1.2150V

QPI/Vtt Voltage: 1.100v

PCH Core: auto

CPU PLL: 1.800v

Dram Voltage: 1.640V

Extreme Memory Profile: Disabled

System Memory Multiplier: 10

Performance Enhance: Standard

DRAM Timing Selectable: Expert

Channel A and B timings: 9-9-9-27

Turbo boost: disabled

CPU cores enabled: all

CPU Enhanced Halt: Disabled

C3/C6 state support: Auto

CPU thermal monitor: Auto

CPU EIST Function: disabled

Bi-Directional PROCHOT: Auto

If anybody can let me know if anything stands out that would be great. Any advice is welcome. Just looking to have a stable overclock at 3.6ghz.

Depending on your chip, you may need a higher CPU core voltage. Go as low as possible and no higher than around 1.35V.

Test stability by running Prime95 for at least 14-24 hours. If it doesn't blue screen or freeze up, then you should be stable enough

Depending on your chip, you may need a higher CPU core voltage. Go as low as possible and no higher than around 1.35V.

Test stability by running Prime95 for at least 14-24 hours. If it doesn't blue screen or freeze up, then you should be stable enough

Yep.

Also do you have a upgraded heatsink? Cause my i5 760 got to max temp real quick with prime 95 even without overclocking. If you don't scrape up about $35 US and get a Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212. You don't want to burn out your CPU.

i have an i5-2600k and until i put on a closed loop corsair h-40 i couldnt even begin to OC. the h-40 is about the smallest WC id go but it works for me. but i have a very conservative OC. i got it for 45$ before tax at my local frys.

There is also the possibility your chip just cannot go that high. What is the highest overclock you reached that was stable? Shooting straight to a 1 GHZ overclock is never a good idea, try some lower settings.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with ed on this one, I've had a few that were happy to clock up high but remained unstable with even a modest clock, What is your ram clock looking like? You could also be having ram issues because the ram speed is following the bus speed. Is your ram speed linked or unlinked?