Overboost?

Cespenar

Looking at the screenie I don't understand why the two small pointers are less than the GPU clock.

Can somebody explain it to me please.

If you look the answer is right there in the screen shot. Keplar cards have a base clock just like every other card on the market. They also have a boost clock that offers improved GPU performance as long as the thermal and current loads are within the rated specifications for the boost clock profile. When you overclock Keplar you are boosting the base clock and by default the boost clock. Again as long as the thermals and current loading are within the predefined ranges you will reach the highest boost clock. Use afterburner with the monitoring window detached and expanded to monitor a longer time frame. Run a benchmark and look at the state of the core clock to see if it throttles back to see this in action.

Hope that helps.

@Frank

I think Cespenar is talking about the BLUE and ORANGE needles not aligning with the displayed GPU Clock speed.

He is but when you look at the definition of the needles they show the factory default clock speeds both boost and base. These are used as reference points that can show just how much higher you are running.  I went back to some of my 6 series reviews and  the base and boost clocks are the factory default clocks with the indicated boost clock being the highest clock speed run when you apply the clock speed increase.

Think and a Coke ............ I was wondering why the needle pointers didn't go up. But as you say, they are the default pointers.

So now I undestand. Thanks for pointing it out.

He is but when you look at the definition of the needles they show the factory default clock speeds both boost and base. These are used as reference points that can show just how much higher you are running.  I went back to some of my 6 series reviews and  the base and boost clocks are the factory default clocks with the indicated boost clock being the highest clock speed run when you apply the clock speed increase.

Thanks for the info Frank , since the release of the X version I though it was a software glitch that they just kept overlooking. That and my EVGA GTX 460 is factory overclocked so the needles where way off.

Now keep pushing that thing! I was able to reach a boost clock of 1231Mhz on the reference card I have.

Does a powerful motherboard/CPU combo help overclock a GPU?

Well it helps make the overclock worth it :-) Depending on the card you might hit a point that the overclock can create a bottle neck at the CPU. Otherwise no it makes no difference.

Wth kepler you have idle clock ,base clock, boost clock ,and autotune wich it may be different from card to card and it continuously changing depend on temps and power setting.