SSD in laptop

Onion

I keep seeing threads about how amazing an SSD is, so... How about an SSD for my laptop? What brands do you guys recommend? Currently running a 750 gb 7200 rpm drive.

I keep seeing threads about how amazing an SSD is, so... How about an SSD for my laptop? What brands do you guys recommend? Currently running a 750 gb 7200 rpm drive.

Sandisks extreme range is pretty decent for the price, can get a 240 or 480 gb

Samsungs 830 is going pretty cheap now that the 840 is out

Would it be possible to have a second drive in my laptop as an OS drive (SSD) and keep my 7200 rpm drive as a secondary? I've got an HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 (the i7 model). These laptops have the option to have an mSSD as a cache drive, so maybe I can get an SSD to work as an OS drive?

Edited by l33t p1mp

It depends on how it's setup. I'd just setup a cache drive if it were mine.

:withstupid:

Since that sweet option is available, do this!!

I hear it's perceivably just as fast but with more storage space

Edited by IVIYTH0S

The change in the computing experience when you move to an SSD is amazing in a desktop system, in a laptop multiple that by ten! The laptop will snap in ways you never imagined. Plus it reduces heat and extends batter life. Nothing major but there is a gain.

I've got a seagate momentus xt 750 gb drive. 7200 RPM and an 8 gb ssd cache built into it. I know I'll have an improvement if I go with full ssd, but by how much, since I already have the 8 gb cache?

I've got a seagate momentus xt 750 gb drive. 7200 RPM and an 8 gb ssd cache built into it. I know I'll have an improvement if I go with full ssd, but by how much, since I already have the 8 gb cache?

We are actually doing a piece for the show on caching drives. I will admit they give a boost but the boost does not compare in day to day use to that experienced with a full SSD system. To give an example my wife's system was used for the initial testing of the caching drives and she loved the speed bump she got. Recently I built her a new system and moved her to a full SSD build but she was having issues with space. I moved her back to her 1 TB drive with a 60 gig cache drive. That lasted a day before she made me buy her a larger SSD and move her back.

Use a caching SSD in front of that drive and you'll see a MASSIVE boost in overall performance.