Living room PC

daniel

Hi,

At the moment I am trying to help my family setup the home network but I am not sure which is the best way to go.

We are looking for a computer to connect to a 55" inch LCD tv, normally we use this to watch movies, youtube, internet TV streams, listen to music. Currently we have a Dell Zino HD connected to the TV, but the computer feels sluggish when playing high definition movie files. So we are looking for an upgrade in this area.

We have a budget of around 1000, and we are looking for a smaller form factor that can handle large movie files and can interact with the current network with out problems.

- Mac Mini

- Alienware X51

- build something

Setup (whole network)

- 1 Windows PC

- 2 Mac laptops

- 2 Iphones

- 1 IPad

- 1 Apple TV

- 1 HP media server

so any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Daniel

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As El_Capitan said how are you handling the media... is it from the web? Another PC? or how? USB Thumb Drive?

It makes a difference....

If you are pulling media over your network from another PC I'd say your network is lagging.... but then again it all depends where the media is coming from

When I was diagnosing the sluggishness I tried to remove all other factors, and tried reading the movie file directly from the local hard drive and it still had issues (it was an .mkv file around 9 gb)

The specs of the current computer are the following

AMD Athlon Neo X2 6850e dual-core processor 1.8GHz

4GB DDR2 system memory

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 graphics With 512MB graphics memory

1TB 7200rpm hard drive

Don't you guys think that athlonn neo x2 is a bit slow for HD decoding? :dunno:

The GPU can do that work. If what he has can't even a VERY cheap card can. I ran full HD on a GeForce 210 using hardware accelerated decoding.