HDMI questions

I'm considering the purchase of a new 55" TV with an HDMI input on it. I am considering that I may want to use it as the monitor for my computer, but my desktop system is older and does not have an HDMI port.

I saw two ways that I believe may allow me to connect my old desktop system to a TV using HDMI:

1. a DVI(male)-to-HDMI adapter plug
  2. a USB-to-HDMI adapter

I'm not sure about the details of using these, but would item 1 conduct the audio to the tv, or only the video??

If I use the USB method, will that conduct BOTH the audio and video to the TV?

I was looking for an adapter card that would add HDMI, sort of like adding a sound card or something like that, but I did not see anything like that for sale at Newegg.

Any ideas?

All your reading can be done here: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2593

DVI does not pass audio, but, certain Nvidia cards have an internal HD audio codec that will pass through audio from a DVI source as long as the HDTV has a digital input source (HDMI). Since your 9600 GSO doesn't have that, you'll need to find a S/PDIF audio pass-through cable connected from your onboard or discrete sound card and connect it to your graphics card.