Overclocking an i7 3770K

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With good ASUS boards on LGA1155 platform, you don't need to watercool the motherboard VRM. On the LGA2011, you will want to.

VRMs still get hot with no airflow on 1155 any which way you cut it. Been through at least 19 boards and all act the same with regards to heat on the VRMs. No airflow means they get smoking hot and deliver failed overclocks.

VRMs still get hot with no airflow on 1155 any which way you cut it. Been through at least 19 boards and all act the same with regards to heat on the VRMs. No airflow means they get smoking hot and deliver failed overclocks.

I have/had maybe 8 ASUS P8Z68-V Pro and Gen3 motherboards, and none I've had needed direct airflow on the VRM's and all overclocked to at least 4.9GHz.

No airflow means they get smoking hot and deliver failed overclocks.

Well when you have something making heat you should probably have at least minimal airflow over them...not too hard to figure that one out. :P

I have/had maybe 8 ASUS P8Z68-V Pro and Gen3 motherboards, and none I've had needed direct airflow on the VRM's and all overclocked to at least 4.9GHz.

Long term stress testing will drive the heat in the VRM up high enough without direct airflow. If all of those boards have been water cooled its only a matter of time. If they have air cooling the vrm is getting direct airflow. Below 4.2 to 4.3 you do not need direct airflow but over 4.4Ghz it is going to become a necessity. ASUS does have an excellent system for loading the VRM with its Digi+ VRM design but when pushing the upper limits you still need airflow to maximize stability. I use my systems for F@H when I build them for personal use running 24/7 full load all the time. Currently I am running an i7 3820 through some stability testing at 5.12Ghz. If I do not directly cool the VRM I get reboots and errors.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I just tested my chip out on my friends mobo, and we hit 4.9 stable at 1.41v for about 2 hours. Considering it takes me about 1.46v to do that on my system, I am starting to wonder if there isn't a hardware issue......

Long term stress testing will drive the heat in the VRM up high enough without direct airflow. If all of those boards have been water cooled its only a matter of time. If they have air cooling the vrm is getting direct airflow. Below 4.2 to 4.3 you do not need direct airflow but over 4.4Ghz it is going to become a necessity. ASUS does have an excellent system for loading the VRM with its Digi+ VRM design but when pushing the upper limits you still need airflow to maximize stability. I use my systems for F@H when I build them for personal use running 24/7 full load all the time. Currently I am running an i7 3820 through some stability testing at 5.12Ghz. If I do not directly cool the VRM I get reboots and errors.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Yeah, I've had folding at 4.9GHz watercooled without direct air over the VRM's for a couple of weeks until I stopped folding, and had used 2600K/2700K's until my 3930K's running 24/7 without issue on my main rigs. Agree to disagree. :P

I just tested my chip out on my friends mobo, and we hit 4.9 stable at 1.41v for about 2 hours. Considering it takes me about 1.46v to do that on my system, I am starting to wonder if there isn't a hardware issue......

What else did you test from your system?

What else did you test from your system?

Just CPU. I put it in an envelope and too it to my friends house and stuck it on the gigabyte z77 UD5. I checked if any pins were bent or if any pads were scratched, but nothing came up. I am going to do another BIOS flash after dinner and see if that does anything. If not, then I have no clue what to do.

The only two things other than my mobo that I could possibly think of being the issue is my mix-matched ram, and my PSU (650w corsair HX PSU trying to run a high oc on an i7 3770K, high oc on my GTX 670, mobo, pump, lights, fans, hard drive, two SSDs, 8GB total of ram. I might be pushing the max power consumption. )