someone trying to reset hotmail

Guest Trankop

Hi,

Today I got a letter

Edited by Trankop

change your password for starters.

then go to account settings>edit security info

and add your mobile number and a secondary email address, for added security.

also are you sure it was from microsoft? dont click any links within the email if you're not sure!

change your password for starters.

then go to account settings>edit security info

and add your mobile number and a secondary email address, for added security.

also are you sure it was from microsoft? dont click any links within the email if you're not sure!

Edited by Trankop

Hum. But there is Secret Secutity Question, isn't it?

As long as you are the only one who knows the answer to it you can recover/reset your password as many times as you want.

Edited by loco_frags

Guest Trankop

Hum. But there is Secret Secutity Question, isn't it?

As long as you are the only one who knows the answer to it you can recover/reset your password as many times as you want.

Edited by Trankop

No, that's very strange. I have a secre security question, I have a secondary email account but I do not have the phone linked to email.

Now, I dont know what of ALL those things have priority, it has become very stu-pid and confusing (not from you but from hotmail, gmail and all that). I think the phone should be 1st priority, 2nd question 3rd other email.

Dude, let me ask you some questions.

If someone enters your hotmail and wants to change your email account then a MAIL will be sent to the current email account for confirmation and THEN you can change the secondary email account.

Now, did you have any email account linked before????? Because hacker couldn't have changed it if he doesn't have your email account....

Now password change .. I believe is being done withouth further security.

Security question is for entering email if you lost your password. Perhaps a secondary method is with email or phone.

I tell you, I created my hotmail in year 2000 and never changed password, and I use it intensively... And I got hacked at Gmail in 4 years of use.. it's a matter of bad luck..

My Hotmail account was shut down almost a year ago due to me sending out emails containing viruses. I tried to recover my account, tried to change the password, answered security questions (correctly) and sent emails to Hotmail after a two weeks of this I gave up and thought sod it I'll just use my ISP email address. Last weekend I needed to recover some login details for Novalogic but could not re,ember them, I tried their password recovery system and found that my Hotmail email was the one I'd used to register years ago and the only one it would except. I tried to log in to Hotmail using the new password I'd set but nothing, I then tried my original password and lo and behold back into my Hotmail account. BTW I don't know where they got the sending viruses from as none of my contacts received any.wacko.gif

Guest Trankop

No, that's very strange. I have a secre security question, I have a secondary email account but I do not have the phone linked to email.

Now, I dont know what of ALL those things have priority, it has become very stu-pid and confusing (not from you but from hotmail, gmail and all that). I think the phone should be 1st priority, 2nd question 3rd other email.

Dude, let me ask you some questions.

If someone enters your hotmail and wants to change your email account then a MAIL will be sent to the current email account for confirmation and THEN you can change the secondary email account.

Now, did you have any email account linked before????? Because hacker couldn't have changed it if he doesn't have your email account....

Now password change .. I believe is being done withouth further security.

Security question is for entering email if you lost your password. Perhaps a secondary method is with email or phone.

I tell you, I created my hotmail in year 2000 and never changed password, and I use it intensively... And I got hacked at Gmail in 4 years of use.. it's a matter of bad luck..

My Hotmail account was shut down almost a year ago due to me sending out emails containing viruses. I tried to recover my account, tried to change the password, answered security questions (correctly) and sent emails to Hotmail after a two weeks of this I gave up and thought sod it I'll just use my ISP email address. Last weekend I needed to recover some login details for Novalogic but could not re,ember them, I tried their password recovery system and found that my Hotmail email was the one I'd used to register years ago and the only one it would except. I tried to log in to Hotmail using the new password I'd set but nothing, I then tried my original password and lo and behold back into my Hotmail account. BTW I don't know where they got the sending viruses from as none of my contacts received any.wacko.gif

Edited by Trankop

I don't know what else to say. I'm pretty sure the answer to secret question is not recoverable. If you forget that then you're lost. It is supossed to be kept really safe.

I'll keep doing questions to see if I can understand more.

1- Can you change your password?

2- Also can you change your secondary email adress?

3- Is there a phone related with your email account?

So, if you change your password and your secondary email adress and there is no phone related or the phone is yours, I don't see how hackers can change that information again. It's impossible.

Or I'm missing something here or perhaps you can have a keylogger or someone is getting your password easy. Just to say something funny but "a roomate" for example... That's all my knowledge. Reseting those 3 things will block access for hackers permanently. If not then I can't say no more because there is no other method to obtain information. Secret question is in your head only. I think hotmail doesn't reset that thing.

Guest Trankop

I don't know what else to say. I'm pretty sure the answer to secret question is not recoverable. If you forget that then you're lost. It is supossed to be kept really safe.

I'll keep doing questions to see if I can understand more.

1- Can you change your password?

2- Also can you change your secondary email adress?

3- Is there a phone related with your email account?

So, if you change your password and your secondary email adress and there is no phone related or the phone is yours, I don't see how hackers can change that information again. It's impossible.

Or I'm missing something here or perhaps you can have a keylogger or someone is getting your password easy. Just to say something funny but "a roomate" for example... That's all my knowledge. Reseting those 3 things will block access for hackers permanently. If not then I can't say no more because there is no other method to obtain information. Secret question is in your head only. I think hotmail doesn't reset that thing.

Edited by Trankop