2600k temp question

Hi folks, just upgraded last week after using amd cpu's for about 12 years (still love them). My 2600k has 1 core running about 7 to 10 degrees hotter than the lowest core at idle. When I run prime the difference is only about 2 to 4 degrees hotter. This is the same @ stock or oc'ed. I reseated the hs and reapplied the tim, as mx4 by the way. Just wondering if this is the norm for these cpu's ?

Thanks for any replies.

Spike :thumbsup:

You will find that many backround processes run off the same core, so at idle its usage will be slightly higher, thus slightly higher temps

When P95 stresses all cores it will be closer, so this is the norm

It's pretty common with all quads really. Mine is about 6 degrees off for core 0 at idle.

Same here. Forgot to mention in the previous post, in both of my 2600k and one 2700k, first core runs ~4-8C hotter when the CPU is idle. But when on load all core temperatures become almost same.

Well thats good to know, with mine it's the 4th core, but when I run task manager performance at idle it shows no usage on the forth core and with my phenom there would only be 1 or 2 degrees diff between all the cores.. ok, one more thing, when I run hw monitor do i go by the cpu temp or the core temp, as the cores are usally 10 degrees hotter than the cpu temp ?

For me the safe limits are:

Max cpu temp: ~75C

max core temp: ~78C

Yes I don't like going into the 80's with any temps , although some forums show guys saying the 90 c is safe.

Are you saying when your cpu temp is 75 your core temps only hit 78 ?

If my cpu temp gets to 70c my core temps are in the 80's, usually about 10 degrees higher. I know intels recommended max cpu is 72.6 c.

I was talking about max individual core temperature recorded in any core. This is true whether I use air or water cooling.

Yes,I get what you mean, those are good temps to go by, at least the cpu won't degrade over a few years.:biggrin: