HIS 6950 2Gb Turbo not working

Hello,

I am upgrading from a 4670 to a HIS 6950 2Gb turbo but am having trouble with the drivers. I ran Driver Sweeper (and later Driver fusion) and CCLeaner to get rid of the old drivers but when I go to install catalyst 12.8 I get a warning during installation message. Once I reboot my screen has small green artifacts around it and the resolution is constantly changing. I also tried a system restore with no luck.

a quick system run down

intel i7 760 at stock 2.8Ghz

p7p55D deluxe motherboard

650W corsair power supply

windows 7 64bit

HIS 6950 2GB turbo with bios switch in position #2

I also tried the 12.4 drivers with no luck.

By doing a custom install and unchecking the catalyst control center I was able to finally able to get the driver 'successfully' installed (green check mark & no error messages). Unfortunately after the reboot I still have the same green square artifacts and blurry resolution-jumping display problems. I suppose it could be a bad card but the fact that it displays ok using the generic windows default vga drivers after clearing out the ati drivers makes me think that the card is ok and the drivers are the problem. Thanks in advance for the help.

Here are a few pics of the graphical errors I am encountering.

post-88060-0-66663600-1345656635_thumb.jpg

post-88060-0-03620100-1345656618_thumb.jpg

The first three things I would check;

Are both PCIe connectors securely fastened to the card?

Are you running the latest BIOS version on your MOTHERBOARD?

What happens if you move the dual bios switch back to position 1 (isn't that the default BIOS chip selection for that card?)

Second pic is exactly how my 4870X2 looked when it was dying. Also make sure it is getting clean power, if its a multi rail PSU try to put it on its own rail.

Card might need an RMA. Oven trick got rid of those green artifacts for me, but they came back after a month or so.

Thanks for the quick replies. I've double checked all of the connections and they all feel secure, nothing loose or wiggly. When I pull up my BIOS info using msinfo32 it says the following: American Megatrends Inc. 2003, 12/14/2010. The latest version I found on the ASUS webpage is also 2003 but with a date of 1/17/2011. So I'm a little confused as to whether or not I have the latest version installed or not. I know I have updated the BIOS is the past but can't remember exactly how long ago it was. If you think it would help/needs it I'll give it a shot.

I've tried shutting down the computer and moving the switch to the other position but had no success.

Puck, I'm unfamiliar with RMA is it Return to MAnufacturer? Also I'm assuming the oven trick is to toss the card in the oven at a certain temp in order to heat up and thus expand any faulty soldier/joints on the card. I don't think that is something I'd like to do as I'm sure it would kill any return policy that Amazon has. I'm hoping it doesn't come to a return cause I got the card for a pretty good deal $159 but if it comes to that perhaps I'll snag a 7850 for a hair under $200 now that their price for the 2Gb model has dropped.

Please let me know the consensus on the mobo bios and/or if you think it is a bum card, thanks.

Refund??

It should have been replaced by the seller.

This...but if you can get a better card now that prices are dropped just take the refund and get something else. :P

This...but if you can get a better card now that prices are dropped just take the refund and get something else. :P

I got it from a 3rd party retailer through amazon. They were 'like new' used cards pulled from supposedly working systems. Due to the way amazon worked with the 3rd party retailer my only option was to return it for a refund. He has a couple more of the same card up on the page but once bitten twice shy.

I wouldn't have ordered a used part at all except that he had great user reviews. The only negative review he had (before mine) was posted a day after I placed my order, it was for a mobo that was also DOA. If it wasn't for that other bad review I may have thought it a fluke. Even though amazon picks up the return shipping for me it isn't worth the time hassle of possibly having to return a second card in order to save $40. I think I am just going to pony up the extra $40 and get one of the 7850s that newegg has on sale for under $200 right now. My understanding is they have equally good, if not better performance, run cooler, use less power, and it would be brand new from the manufacturer.

Live and learn I guess though. Thanks again for the help guys.