Many Types of GTX680 (Are they different?)

Grape

No troubles running 7680 x 1600 with two GTX 680 2GB's in SLI, much less 2560 x 1600. I guess it depends on the game, and whether you're too lazy to re-adjust the max settings that you'd really even notice in visual quality (16xAA instead of 4xAA, especially at higher resolutions, is not needed).

http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gtx-680-4gb-jetstream-review/26

The 4GB -- Realistically there was not one game that we tested that could benefit from the two extra GB's of graphics memory. Even at 2560x1600 (which is a massive 4 Mpixels resolution) there was just no measurable difference.

Where people get this idea that they NEED 4GB VRAM, I don't know. People believe too much in rumors.

Edited by El_Capitan

No troubles running 7680 x 1600 with two GTX 680 2GB's in SLI, much less 2560 x 1600. I guess it depends on the game, and whether you're too lazy to re-adjust the max settings that you'd really even notice in visual quality (16xAA instead of 4xAA, especially at higher resolutions, is not needed).

http://www.guru3d.com/article/palit-geforce-gtx-680-4gb-jetstream-review/26

Where people get this idea that they NEED 4GB VRAM, I don't know. People believe too much in rumors.

Like I said I'm heavily jaded for a console ported game like Skyrim with light modding, caused a card that potentially sits up with 670 performance (5970), to perform like it was an 8600GT running it.

680 2GB would "get you by" for now but it's shortsighted, if they wanted something that got them by now, I'd get the 7850 or 660Ti but the potential the 680 alone gives far outshines 2GB. 4GB should have been the only way the card shipped...especially since, if I recall correctly, the 680 was released cheaper and better then the 7970, so it could have been just better equal in price or slightly more but have the 7970 outclassed in everything. SLI 680s would be an even bigger waste as they'd DEFINITELY have a huge hit in their max settings lifespan (and if someone is buying two 680s....they're a max settings only individual or else they'd get dual 7850/7950s or 660Tis for ultra value)

That's all my personal opinion though, don't buy the best quad core in the market quad core when you could but it with HT to maximize it's potential. If you're going to cheap out, get a more reasonably priced card like a 7950 or something.

I didn't read through whole thread but if you are only gaming on 1 monitor then it is stupid to pay for a 4GB card that use slightly more power to power ram you won't need. I game on a 2560x1440 27" monitor with a 4GB GTX 690 (2GB ram per card) and everything I throw at it keeps it above 60 fps no matter what. And I'm sure its been said but some versions of the gtx 680 use the exact nvidia reference board and just change the cooling system and outer looks, other versions take just the nvidia gpu chip and completely design the whole rest of the pcb layout to maximize performance reliability and overclockability, adding more vrms for power delivery, more ram, faster speed rated ram etc

Edited by Laststop