New GPU Time!

Black64

Was looking at Benchmarks and it looks like the 670 beats the 7970 in almost everyone. :dunno:

That's because most reviews aren't done with the highest overclocking involved.

http://computerhardwareupgrades.blogspot.com/search/label/Graphics%20Card%20Reviews

I can get a single HD 7970 at 1310MHz Core Clock speeds, and a single GTX 680 maybe as high as 1229MHz Core Clock. Both can't go any higher (I have 3 of each). Where games don't utilize FXAA or CSAA Anti-Aliasing, the HD 7970 wins hands down at those overclocked settings. Now, an overclocked GTX 670 won't beat an overclocked GTX 680, so there's your answer.

Edited by El_Capitan

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because most reviews aren't done with the highest overclocking involved.

http://computerhardwareupgrades.blogspot.com/search/label/Graphics%20Card%20Reviews

I can get a single HD 7970 at 1310MHz Core Clock speeds, and a single GTX 680 maybe as high as 1229MHz Core Clock. Both can't go any higher (I have 3 of each). Where games don't utilize FXAA or CSAA Anti-Aliasing, the HD 7970 wins hands down at those overclocked settings. Now, an overclocked GTX 670 won't beat an overclocked GTX 680, so there's your answer.

You're running 3 screens. At 1080p they 680/670 are almost always faster than a 7970 even with a slight overclock.

EDIT: Are all of those scores SLI or Crossfire? I don't think you can compare cards based on that...

You're running 3 screens. At 1080p they 680/670 are almost always faster than a 7970 even with a slight overclock.

EDIT: Are all of those scores SLI or Crossfire? I don't think you can compare cards based on that...

I have two identical systems, one with just a HD 7970 and one with just a GTX 680, I just never blogged the results, but the results are the same at max overclock. The HD 7970 beats the GTX 680 at max overclocks, but when the GTX 680 gets to use CSAA or FXAA settings, it beats out the HD 7970 which only gets MSAA.

OCC's results tend to disagree with you - IMHO I'd take the 670 over a 7970 every time. The lower power consumption, generally lower noise, and comparable to better performance win me over.

OCC's results tend to disagree with you - IMHO I'd take the 670 over a 7970 every time. The lower power consumption, generally lower noise, and comparable to better performance win me over.

This

That's because OCC's GTX 680 max overclock hit 1305MHz Core Clock while the HD 7970 max overclock hit 1150MHz Core Clock. GTX 680's that hit 1300MHz Core Clock is a rarity, while almost all HD 7970's can hit 1300MHz Core Clock, though at 1300mV's for Core Voltage.

Myself, I have 3 GTX 680's and 3 HD 7970's (had 5 HD 7970's), and I will say that all my HD 7970's could hit 1300MHz Core Clock stable (at least the ones that I tried while on water). None of my GTX 680's could.

Go ahead and get a GTX 670, my HD 7970 overclocked will beat you in almost any benchmark where you don't get a FXAA or CSAA advantage over MSAA.

Edited by El_Capitan

...while almost all HD 7970's can hit 1300MHz Core Clock, though at 1300mV's for Core Voltage.

If you crank the voltage like that sure - but the extra power and heat go through the roof. I don't even run my 5970 at 1.3 volts! :teehee:

If you crank the voltage like that sure - but the extra power and heat go through the roof. I don't even run my 5970 at 1.3 volts! :teehee:

The GTX 6xx's crank up the voltages, too, but automatically. If they could be manually fixed, they could probably overclock higher. For the HD 7xxx's, you just need to manually adjust them. 1.3V's on the HD 6970's and HD 7970's have always been fine for me, as long as they're adequately cooled.

•  
  • Are you going to watercool whatever card you buy and push the OC until your card cries for dear mercy as you try to find its breaking point? Typically only people with a ton of video cards do this, not people with only 1-2 cards.
  • Are you going to spend more time playing benchmark programs then playing video games?

If yes to those questions then go with the 7970, otherwise the GTX 670 is a better all around card through and through.