Water Cooling Issues - Radiators/Fans

Curlyp

Hello Community,

I am having some issues with my first -time water cooling build.

My original build post is here

I did have the Black Ice GTX 360 radiators, however, (being a noob), I accidentally punctured the radiators with long screws (which I did not know at the time), until I had everything up and running, and water was leading on my fans.

I currently and running a Push Pull on two XSPC RX360 with Ultra Kaze Scythe (12 Fans total). I put on the new radiators Friday, and everything has been fine. Today, there is little water spots on the left radiator top fan (picture is below). All my fittings are tight and I am not having any leakage in the system. I used a flashlight to look between each blade (front and back) and do not see any water on the radiator. I am stumped as to why I am getting some water on the inner rims of my fans. There is two possible reasons that I can think of:

1. The Ultra Kaze 3000RPM fans is too much for a push pull setup and some how is pushing water out of the fins (too much power)
  2. There could be possible condensation on the radiator and the fans is blowing it out

I am not sure if either of my two reasons are accurate, but that is the only ones I can come up with. If anyone one has any suggestions to help me out, I would appreciate it.

WateronFan.jpg

Thanks!

Hey there, if a fan is pushing water out of the fins the rad is bad and you should rma it. Condensation might cause water spots but someone on here with more experience in wc will have to answer that for you.:biggrin:

Looks like the rad is leaking to me.

How are you attaching the rad and fans?

I am attacking the fans to the rand with 5/16 in (about 7mm) screws. If you put the screw in without the fan, it does not even touch the fins. So, with the fans attached, I am in about 2-3 mm.

If you dumped water into the fans they could be slinging it out as they run...

Monitor it and watch for additional leakage. If it just goes away that might be what happened.

Hello Community,

I am having some issues with my first -time water cooling build.

My original build post is here

I did have the Black Ice GTX 360 radiators, however, (being a noob), I accidentally punctured the radiators with long screws (which I did not know at the time), until I had everything up and running, and water was leading on my fans.

I currently and running a Push Pull on two XSPC RX360 with Ultra Kaze Scythe (12 Fans total). I put on the new radiators Friday, and everything has been fine. Today, there is little water spots on the left radiator top fan (picture is below). All my fittings are tight and I am not having any leakage in the system. I used a flashlight to look between each blade (front and back) and do not see any water on the radiator. I am stumped as to why I am getting some water on the inner rims of my fans. There is two possible reasons that I can think of:

1. The Ultra Kaze 3000RPM fans is too much for a push pull setup and some how is pushing water out of the fins (too much power)
  2. There could be possible condensation on the radiator and the fans is blowing it out

I am not sure if either of my two reasons are accurate, but that is the only ones I can come up with. If anyone one has any suggestions to help me out, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

not sure how you have you'r setup done in your case.

No the ultra kaze fans will not pull water out of the fins. I ran Black Ice GTX 480 radiators on my last build with push/pull fans and never had a problem. but were noisy as hell.
    I also dont think it would be condensation

there might be a few thing to check with your system.

A you might have a hole in the rad again, i would check on this.

B depending on how your fans are running (pulling air out of the case) you might have a leaking fitting inside and the fans are grabing the water drop and shooting it into the fan. The fans do move alot of air.

C your first rad had a hole, maybe the fans still had some water in them and is just throwing it out now.

Just a tip running electronics with water on them could short them out. It is best to dry all the water possible with towels etc... then let the electronics sit for a day to let the water which could not be dried up dry.

Well, after further investigation, it seems like my radiators are not leaking water (which is a good thing). The fans are leaking oil; the spots on the fans are really shiny.

Not sure how this is happening, but it definitely is not water. Has anyone seen this happen before?

Well, after further investigation, it seems like my radiators are not leaking water (which is a good thing). The fans are leaking oil; the spots on the fans are really shiny.

Not sure how this is happening, but it definitely is not water. Has anyone seen this happen before?

Wetting them previously may have loosened up the bearing oil.