First full loop

Hey guys, I am looking into building my first water cooling loop. I have had an all in one system before, but I am looking into doing a full on loop. I am doing it for two reasons. First, I am trying to get a bit better overclock on my Ivy Bridge processor. I currently have the Silver Arrow SB-E (I think that is what is called) air cooler, and I have my processor at 4.7 Ghz. Under load on a hot day, it gets to about 90C. My first question is, do you think this will help me achieve a higher overclock?Link to Tubing

Second, I am looking to give me something else to tinker with. I really love tinkering with my computer, and it seems like this would give me something else to maintain.

Anyway, with those questions in mind, here is my proposed setup:

Pump: Swiftech MCP655 (Link to Pump)

Tubing: PrimoFlex Tubing (http://www.amazon.com/PrimoFlex-Clear-Tubing-2in-4in/dp/B00150U84M/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1342938018&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=primoflex+tubing+clear)

Connectors: XSPC 1/2" x 3/4" connectors (Link to Fittings)

Res: One I got from WACO

CPU Block: XSPC Raystorm block (Link to CPU Block)

Radiator: XSPC 240mm Rad (Link to Radiator)

So, critique this as much as you would like. Let me know your thoughts.

Yes. I have the Corsair 600T. And I can buy from frozen CPU.com.

Before we go into detail of your WC loop, can you please tell us what case you have? Also, can you buy from frozen CPU.com?

Yes. I have the Corsair 600T. And I can buy from frozen CPU.com.

Cool.

The main issue is that your case is kind of limited for water cooling. IB chips run really hot, and considering you are limited to a single 30mm thick rad with 1 set of fans, you will get better performance, but nothing to really waste your money on.

You can however cut a section of the 600t out on the top of the case and mount a triple 120mm rad quite easily.

This is going to be your best bet at getting some really good temps on your CPU.

I have heard some suggestions that the Ivy Bridge runs hot because of the thermal density of the chip as well as the fact that they use TIM instead of fluxless solder. My chip does run hot. It is at 4.7 ghz, but my heatsink is only mildly hot to the touch. Nothing near what a 90C chip should make the heatsink feel like. With that being said, will a 360mm rad make that much of a difference over a 240mm rad? If this is the case, i can mount another 120mm rad on the back of the case.

I have heard some suggestions that the Ivy Bridge runs hot because of the thermal density of the chip as well as the fact that they use TIM instead of fluxless solder. My chip does run hot. It is at 4.7 ghz, but my heatsink is only mildly hot to the touch. Nothing near what a 90C chip should make the heatsink feel like. With that being said, will a 360mm rad make that much of a difference over a 240mm rad? If this is the case, i can mount another 120mm rad on the back of the case.

Yes a 360mm rad would make a big difference. And yes, 90C would make the cooler warm to the touch. Ideally a cooler that large should only feel a tad warmer than room temperature.

Back on topic....

Here is my issue with the rad. If you were getting a water cooling loop just to keep your CPU cooler at it's current speed, then you should only focus on finding a better quality radiator and you should be fine. However, if you want to crank your CPU voltage up higher, then you should probably get the triple 120 rad in the top.

The other thing to keep in mind is that making that small modification to your case to allow for the larger rad is merely and inconvenience. You don't need to make it look pretty....in fact it can be a total abomination and it would still work out just fine. The issue is making sure you don't slip and cut off some other section of the case (or yourself). But if you take a little bit of time to plan out the cut and take your time with it, you will be fine.

N ext question, is there a difference between a 360 mm rad and a setup with a 240 mm rad with a 120 mm rad.

Yes a 360mm rad would make a big difference. And yes, 90C would make the cooler warm to the touch. Ideally a cooler that large should only feel a tad warmer than room temperature.

Back on topic....

Here is my issue with the rad. If you were getting a water cooling loop just to keep your CPU cooler at it's current speed, then you should only focus on finding a better quality radiator and you should be fine. However, if you want to crank your CPU voltage up higher, then you should probably get the triple 120 rad in the top.

The other thing to keep in mind is that making that small modification to your case to allow for the larger rad is merely and inconvenience. You don't need to make it look pretty....in fact it can be a total abomination and it would still work out just fine. The issue is making sure you don't slip and cut off some other section of the case (or yourself). But if you take a little bit of time to plan out the cut and take your time with it, you will be fine.

N ext question, is there a difference between a 360 mm rad and a setup with a 240 mm rad with a 120 mm rad.

Except for a slight drop in flow rates, no. The cooling capability of the system will be the same.

The 600t is a odd case in watercooling terms, there are many smaller mid towers that have much better compatability and can fit much more radiator inside them, but the bigger 600t is somewhat limited in radiator mounting space.