SSD ? Which model ? And Memory ?

SausauRJ

Hi all,

I'm new here and I have a question for you...

I currently own such a PC:

AMD Phenom II x6

NVIDIA GTX570 (MSI TwinFrozr II)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB

2x2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 MHz CAS 9

ASUS M4N75TD

BeQuiet 700W 80 + Bronze (I have over the model in mind)

And I'd like to make an upgrade, not in graphics or processor but ...

On my PC I usually use software such as After Effects, Photoshop, or even games and open in my taskbar twenty program and twenty tab (google chrome) !

Little problem, I do not know if it just the memory (which is approximately 2.50 Gb all the time, rarely to 4 Gb) or if it is a concern of the hard drive, I micro freeze, so mini crash a few seconds very annoying. Diode DD front box "blocked" ^ ^

So I would like some advice for a 128gb SSD because I think she will do the most good. I am not think it's in memory because it is never full (or very rarely, if extreme). if you think it's also advice on the RAM strips that could benefit me.

For the SSD alone, I have 150 € and bars, also about 50 €.

Sincerely,

Hi all,

I'm new here and I have a question for you...

I currently own such a PC:

AMD Phenom II x6

NVIDIA GTX570 (MSI TwinFrozr II)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB

2x2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 MHz CAS 9

ASUS M4N75TD

BeQuiet 700W 80 + Bronze (I have over the model in mind)

And I'd like to make an upgrade, not in graphics or processor but ...

On my PC I usually use software such as After Effects, Photoshop, or even games and open in my taskbar twenty program and twenty tab (google chrome) !

Little problem, I do not know if it just the memory (which is approximately 2.50 Gb all the time, rarely to 4 Gb) or if it is a concern of the hard drive, I micro freeze, so mini crash a few seconds very annoying. Diode DD front box "blocked" ^ ^

So I would like some advice for a 128gb SSD because I think she will do the most good. I am not think it's in memory because it is never full (or very rarely, if extreme). if you think it's also advice on the RAM strips that could benefit me.

For the SSD alone, I have 150 € and bars, also about 50 €.

Sincerely,

I'm in canada but i just bought an OCZ vertex 3 120gb SSD on sale for $109 from $170 and its a beast. just make sure you run it in ahci. My windows 7 boots in about 10 seconds :cheers:

I have had an OCZ SSD for about a year and a half now. Still works like a champ!

I do not know what is causing your microstutters, but you do not have enough memory to run programs such as After Effects and Photoshop effectively. Also, the fact that you have "twenty programs open" with lots of Chrome tabs open tells me that your system is struggling to manage the memory it has. I would upgrade the memory first, then worry about an SSD later. Go with at least 8gb, if not 16gb if your system can handle it.

Hello and thx for your reply.

I have check benchmark and I think I choose the "CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GT 120Gb" but Corsair say firmware update work with AMD & Intel chipset but my motherboard have a NVIDIA Chipset... It works ? or not ?

For memory, 8 gb is not enough?

Thx in adv for your reply

I'm not quite sure I understand the question, but for those editing programs you mentioned 8gb is not enough. If you are going to be editing HD videos and large pictures, even 16gb would be pushing it for After Effects. That program can eat up as much memory as you can throw at it.

I always recommend the Crucial M4. I get a little over 500MB/s, which is so close to the 555MB/s some others offer that it's unnoticeable. The M4, however, is known for being quite reliable in comparison to say the OCZ SSDs.

I'm also a fan of the M4. But the others noted are good as well. My money just always goes to the Crucial. However I have used a couple of the Mushkin Chronos units now and they've been spot on too.

I'd echo what a previous poster mentioned about After Effects and Photoshop in general. They will eat memory, so the more the better. I use both of those programs on almost a daily basis and the difference between 4 & 8Gb or even 8 to 16Gb is very noticeable.